Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:28 am

I am photographing fire artists for one of my projects. So far I've been using a semi-disposable "strobist" lighting, but plan on upping the game. On a next shoot, I want to bring a couple of Einsteins (with VMLs) and a large octa with the grid.

I know that your octaboxes are heat resistant. It seems that the soft grid are made from heat resistant materials, too. But how about the rest of the stuff? And how about inevitable kerosene spills?

Basically, I'd like to know which part of the aforementioned gear needs most protection from the kerosene (besides the obvious electric/electronic components), and what piece of gear would be the first to catch fire from the stray spark (without being soaked in kerosene, of course)?

PS: A picture is just to give you an idea of what kind of shoot I am talking about. That one I've shot with 3 small flashes. Can't wait to see what could be done with Einstein and a large octa! 8-)

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 am

Site Admin

Of the gear listed, I would say the softboxes/grids (and any textile) would be the most susceptible to flame. However, you should ALWAYS avoid flame and fuels from getting on any of the equipment. Maybe getting some plexiglass to act as a shield for as much as possible, particularly from the liquid. But do not encase the lights or Vagabonds.

As an aside, I recommend being insured, if you are not already, especially liability.

Thats a cool photo, BTW.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]