Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:11 pm

I am having trouble deciding between the large octabox and the while PLM system. I have a fairly small studio space and will shoot mostly single subjects, but may have families in at some point. I would like to try and mimic natural light as much as possible (not looking for high-key/fashion) as I would like my on-location and studio work to be cohesive. I was thinking of purchasing the AB800 with one of the above mentioned modifiers and also the larger reflector kit. Does this set-up seem to make sense for my desired style? I have only used studio lighting a handful of times, so I would like to keep it simple until I learn what I am doing. Thank you for any help!

Top Top

#

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Site Admin

Either of these modifiers will work well. The PLM in the bounce/diffuser configuration will be a tad softer, while the softbox will have more control via a grid. In reflections, you may see the spokes of an umbrella, or the dark center where the light would be, however, this would need to be very large areas of reflections. Normal portraiture would not typically have any problems from this.

The PLM with the speed ring would be easier to gel, as it can be wrapped around the cage. 8mm style umbrella rods or regular softboxes are less easy to gel, but are doable.

One light and a reflector are a perfectly fine starting point, and many times all you will need.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]