Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:07 pm

I have an 86" PLM that blew over and broke the 8mm shaft, with no other damage to anything else.

I called today and asked about getting a repair part for it and was told that I had to buy a whole new PLM even though it looks like all I need to do is take out one screw and just replace the central stem.

If this is really the case..I am really disappointed and really makes me rethink buying any more modifiers as I tend to work in some rough conditions and occasionally my lights get blown over. I don't mind buying the replacement parts if they are available

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:57 am

This is what I did to mine as I bent the aluminum shaft on the 86" from prior post last year.

On mine, the small setscrew (The plastic bag that came with mine had the wrench for that) at the tip holds the 7mm shaft in mine. Never comes apart once assembled.

I did replace that 7mm aluminum rod with a steel drill rod 0.262" in diameter (36" long) from W.W. Grainger that costs about $5 plus shipping. The 7mm aluminum was just too flimsy for me with the 86" PLM and first thing I bent even though I ordered a spare. Plus I can attach the (white translucent PLM) rig to a Matthews mini-knuckle and a 91" Lastolite boom and us it as a sun scrim in bright sunlight. Gets up to about 12-15 feet in height too and faster to set up than the SunBouncer.

The larger knob on the umbrellas inside goes through the inner sleeve's holes if you get it right. Can't recall if it also contacts the rod, but I suspect it does if the holes all align in the middle sleeve.

Mack

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Site Admin

These shafts are not really meant to be replaced, so we do not carry replacement parts. I think we may be able to scrounge up a salvage part for you, and if we can, you will be hearing from someone here.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Site Admin

Mack wrote:
This is what I did to mine as I bent the aluminum shaft on the 86" from prior post last year.

On mine, the small setscrew (The plastic bag that came with mine had the wrench for that) at the tip holds the 7mm shaft in mine. Never comes apart once assembled.

I did replace that 7mm aluminum rod with a steel drill rod 0.262" in diameter (36" long) from W.W. Grainger that costs about $5 plus shipping. The 7mm aluminum was just too flimsy for me with the 86" PLM and first thing I bent even though I ordered a spare. Plus I can attach the (white translucent PLM) rig to a Matthews mini-knuckle and a 91" Lastolite boom and us it as a sun scrim in bright sunlight. Gets up to about 12-15 feet in height too and faster to set up than the SunBouncer.

The larger knob on the umbrellas inside goes through the inner sleeve's holes if you get it right. Can't recall if it also contacts the rod, but I suspect it does if the holes all align in the middle sleeve.

Mack

I believe the issue is with the 8mm version PLM rather than the speedring/7mm version.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]