Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ] 

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:04 pm

UPS is slower than heck to the West coast from the East. B&H Photo used to take about 9 days (Including two days on the weekends) on a Sunday purchase to get to CA the following Monday.

I see my recent order may take about 9 days also from TN to CA via UPS Ground due to their screw-up at the LA (Vernon, CA) hub, plus with the three day holiday. I've paid close to $45 for three-day with UPS and it took 5 days last time (Weekend, and no Saturday delivery where I could have paid $7 for Ground and maybe arrived in the same time. Total waste of $35 with UPS.).

As an option, can USPS be requested instead of UPS on Buff orders? At least they deliver 6 days a week, and often in 3-4 days for a much cheaper rate too. I've gotten most all Amazon via USPS as well as FedEx. UPS is plain slow and local shipping dept. manager told me they actually had their UPS driver come back and take a parcel back after dropped off as "He (The driver.) would have gotten into trouble for delivering it a day earlier."

Mack

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:52 am

Site Admin

We do not offer USPS for a variety of reasons. Namely, their tracking is not as effective, and missing package resolution is not as effective as UPS. Also, we do get rate discounts from UPS, and if we split that between multiple shippers, the discount is reduced, and prices will rise. To offer a secondary shipping method, either significant labor costs will need to be incurred to manually ready a shipment, or a significant infrastructure cost will need to be incurred to automate the process.

We are always looking at ways to improve our business, and that may mean changing shipping options in the future, but for now, we only offer UPS.

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:13 am

Actually, USPS tracking has improved since they deliver for Amazon, along with Saturday (6 days normal price.), and Sunday for more $$ deliveries. I get a shipping/tracking number and can track eastern shipments easily now. I sent a Sigma lens to NY for repair last month, tracked, and three days to them for $7. A year ago, their tracking wasn't so good, but it has improved since Amazon. Lens was returned within two weeks (Not via UPS either, but FedEx which also hands off to USPS at times.). Also, FedEx 'Ground' doesn't deliver on Mondays here (FedEx Air does) and they run Tuesday to Saturday for Ground which seems odd.

Anyway, UPS is delivering today from you so 9 days to CA from TN which is pretty slow even for Ground and Vernon, CA seems to always slow it down. This isn't the first time with them either to take 3-4 days to go 100 miles with invariable weekend delays, not counting the 3-day cross country.

Here is the recent order tracking from you in TN to CA:
City X, CA, United States 09/08/2015 5:25 A.M. Out For Delivery
City X, CA, United States 09/05/2015 3:37 A.M. Arrival Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 09/05/2015 1:16 A.M. Departure Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 09/04/2015 6:20 A.M. We've held the package at this facility. This may cause a delay. Delivery will be rescheduled.
Vernon, CA, United States 09/04/2015 12:13 A.M. Arrival Scan

I believe B&H had issues to CA and struck up some sort of 3-day deal with UPS on shipping west as Samy's in CA was cutting into their West coast business and getting stuff out delivered within two days to Western states (One day for me.). Also, Adorama for some odd reason, beats B&H to the West (Prior to B&H change with UPS) by a day so a Sunday order can hit CA by Friday evening, where B&H, even though in NYC as is Adorama, rolled over to Monday (8 days) so something was up with the UPS pick-up between the two. Probably why Adorama is Amazon's secondary/backup shipper too as I haven't had one from Amazon appear from B&H yet.

Fwiw, I paid $50 to expedite shipping last April for a couple of items from you with 3-day hoping for a Saturday delivery and it showed up the following Monday as even three-day is not weekend for UPS now - maybe not even 2-day is Saturday with UPS anymore? So it arrived on Monday May, 4. Paying to expedite with UPS for $50 is a total waste and wish I had known earlier that it would roll over the weekend.

Mack

Top Top

#

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:20 pm

Site Admin

Saturday delivery is only available for next day shipments, where available, for an added cost, and upon request. While the shipment was not delivered on a Saturday, it was still delivered earlier than ground by up to 3-4 days as expedited orders typically leave the same day or the next (depending on when the order was placed). Ground orders can take up to three business days to leave.

However, it appears there may have been a delay in shipping on UPS's part. You can contact our customer service department so they may check with UPS to see if this falls under the service guarantee. If it does, then there may be something we can do regarding the shipping fees.

Top Top

#

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:34 am

Just an FYI since this is an Amazon order that came from Chattanooga>Nashville, TN via USPS and maybe good for comparison:

September 21, 2015 , 7:52 am
Out for Delivery
XXX, CA 93xxx

Your item is out for delivery on September 21, 2015 at 7:52 am in XXX, CA 93xxx.
September 21, 2015 , 7:42 am
Sorting Complete
XXX, CA 93xxx

September 21, 2015 , 4:41 am
Arrived at Post Office
XXX, CA 93xxx

September 21, 2015 , 4:25 am
Departed USPS Facility
SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383

September 20, 2015 , 10:01 pm
Arrived at USPS Destination Facility
SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383

September 20, 2015 , 12:48 am
Departed USPS Origin Facility
NASHVILLE, TN 37227

September 19, 2015 , 8:57 pm
Arrived at USPS Origin Facility
NASHVILLE, TN 37227

September 19, 2015 , 7:42 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
CHATTANOOGA, TN 37416

UPS Ground would take all this week from Nashville and maybe roll over to Monday Sept. 28, but last Friday's shipment to here in 3 days beats UPS by a mile. This is not a Prime Member order either as I don't have it. Shipping was $5.07 for First-Class Package Service, not even Priority Mail.

Something to think about, and why the option to go USPS may be more beneficial to West Coast orders too.

Mack

Top Top

#

Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

I hope that Tech Support will pass this along to customer service and the shipping management at PCB:

I think that sticking to UPS only might possibly be penny wise and pound foolish;

I say this because there are times when I WOULD have purchased an accessory or two from PCB Inc, but when realizing that the shipping costs and times were going to be, ended up buying either a third-party item off of amazon or a used (or knockoff) from ebay. Or just going without the items because I didn't want to wait 7 to 9 days for it to arrive in California (allowing for a two day turnaround at the PCB shipping department.)

So, while in theory PCB Inc. saved a little bit of money by NOT shipping via US Postal Service, they lost out on the sale, since I bought a (similar-functioning) item elsewhere. (And, to be honest, I would rather give my money to you guys at PCB Inc than anyone else.)

I would encourage management to look into whether SOME items (not necessarily all, but some), could be good candidates for being shipped by USPS in addition to UPS. I am sure that many lightweight, smaller items would ship well via US Postal Service, and with the various flat-rate and regional-rate boxes available, even heavier compact items would benefit.

Plus USPS provides FREE BOXES for priority mail, so hopefully that might also translate into a cost savings for PCB Inc, since I know the cost of purchasing shipping boxes can add up.

In a world where companies like amazon are moving to same-day delivery with local drivers transporting the merchandise (similar to uber, but for merchandise), it would seem to me that it would be an overall gain for the bottom line of PCB to be able to offer more shipping options. Ecommerce is moving toward MORE flexibility for their customers, and with the ever-increasing amount of competition that lighting manufacturers face, it seems that providing more options that better fit the diverse needs of your customer base is going to be a long-term win for PCB Inc.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:50 am

Site Admin

In all honesty, this subject is beyond the scope of this forum.

If you have suggestions or concerns about shipping, they should be directed directly to our Customer Service team:
info@paulcbuff.com
1-800-443-5542

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:50 pm

I work in a mail center for a large private school and we receive a significant number of packages everyday. Shipping always varies, and if you have an urge need, its best to plan ahead.

I live in CA and it takes a full week to get stuff. I do agree that UPS is a better option. Better systems. There could be other options available for shipping as I have asked too. But I would imagine that PCB has tried and true ways for doing things.

I think when you are shipping high dollar items, its best to do it with UPS or FedEx. My scrim frame from B and H was delayed with UPS by a day. But its not a big deal. I agree if someone has issues, take it up directly with customer service.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ]