Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ] 

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:05 am

My assistant shot behind-the-scenes footage of a photo shoot, showing Einstein in action. The light and its wireless system delivered with perfect consistency!

(use HD to see pix more clearly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdip6oxkbU&fmt=22
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1654849132473

Cheers
Alex

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Nice!

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Site Admin

Very nice! Also good to see sony in play, too! Question, though; what exactly is going on with the transmitter on the hotshoe?

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:53 pm

GREAT :P

Top Top

Website

#

Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Very nice! Also good to see sony in play, too! Question, though; what exactly is going on with the transmitter on the hotshoe?

Aha! Very observant!

In working with the client/model during the shoot, I want to be able to quickly look above the camera to make an eye contact and offer a quick suggestion or a kind word. There are situations when I even find it beneficial to do it the moment I take the actual shot - I very quickly look up from the viewfinder and over the pentaprism, relate to the model, evoke an expression, take the shot. Richard Avedon was of course huge on this.

Thus the lower the profile of the trigger, the better. This is one aspect of the Elinchrom system (the slim, flat shape and horizontal orientation of the trigger) that I find markedly superior to PCB trigger. I have experience with both systems and with the exception of 1200WS Eli which I sometimes find use for, and their outstanding USB/computer controller system, I am happier owning and operating the PCB strobes.

Additionally, SONY uses an iISO flash shoe, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IISO_flash_shoe, which would require an adapter to make PCB fit, thus making it even taller. I might order me an extra PCB trigger and cobble up a redesigned adapter that mounts flat on iISO/hugs camera body (plus has an off switch :-).

As for the SONY, esp. the A900, I find it a great studio shooter, short of the slower and less flexible medium format options. Just like Canon (sports heritage) takes pride in its AF and telephotos and Nikon (photojournalism) for low light performance, tough build, wide angle lenses, Minolta and now SONY are all about color and studio and glamour. SONY trades off low light performance for better color fidelity by making the microfilters in front of its sensors narrower band and denser. They even have two distinct and narrow green filters - so the Sony Bayer matrix goes R-G1-B-G2-... not RGBRGB.

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 5 posts ]