Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:03 pm

so i have had 2 Einsteins for a little while and just received my third one in the mail today along with the large octabox. i set everything up and place the octabox onto the strobe and before i can even plug it in, the octabox falls off the strobe taking the fogged glass dome with it, shattering on the floor?! I have not had it more then 10 minutes! and i was setting this up in my garage studio, so no wind or anything!! whats the deal with the crappy softbox clips that cant even support a Paul C Buff softbox with no wind?? how can i ever plan on using this stuff on a location shoot? i hope there is a fix for this... sucks after 10 minutes i have to get another glass dome! what happens if i use the strobe without the dome?

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Site Admin

First, contact customer service for a replacement dome. Second, you can use the light without the dome, only minor beam pattern variance may result. Third, is this a foldable or standard softbox?

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Technical Support wrote:
First, contact customer service for a replacement dome. Second, you can use the light without the dome, only minor beam pattern variance may result. Third, is this a foldable or standard softbox?

I'll call first thing in the morning. And it is the large foldable octabox. I have had problems getting my large standard foldable softbox to stay on as well but never had it fall off with me not right next to it and take out the glass dome... Just sucks cuz I'm really wanting to use these on location but can't see that happening if there is even the slightest breeze..... :-(

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Not sure which version you have but on the latest one with the updated fingers and everything, I've found that if I support my modifier with one hand to take some of the pressure off and then actually push the lever to tighten the fingers, I get a rock solid grip. The opposite--just letting it spring into place while there is still downward pressure against the fingers--will result in a poor mount because the fingers are never allowed to get to their full extension. If you have the newest version of the Einstein make sure you're not letting that happen when you mount your octa.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Site Admin

Yes, do make sure the levers are as far as they can go by hand. Also, before you use it again, check the tube to ensure the box did not damage the tube legs or pull them out any.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 pm

That must be it... I just went out and cheked the tubes and everything looked good. Plugged it in and did some test fires running through the power ranges and all seemed to be working ok... Looks like I got lucky! Attached the softbox and octabox and see what you mean about pushing the lever all the way down... Seems to fit good when I do that and I was able to move the stand around with the box on no problem. I just double checked the owners manual and that's not mentioned anywhere? Or am I missing it? It seems like something that should be in bold italic letters and underlined! Lol

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]