Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 pm

I was wondering if I can use a Pocket Wizard Plus II to trigger a CST using a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono cable?

Since a lot of the other photographers have Pocket Wizards, I was hoping that I could connect the Pocket Wizard Plus II to the CST with a cable. Then when the Pocket Wizard Plus II is triggered it will then cause the CST to trigger and then all the CSR units will fire the flashes.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 pm

I have a box full of CyberSync CSRB and a pair of PW-II. Sometimes what I what to photo is too far away for CSRB even in relay mode. What I do is put PW-II in my camera hotshoe, then attach PW-II to a hotshoe adapter that has built-in PC port. I slide a CST into the hotshoe and then have it trigger a pod of nearby flash. This is how I jump long distances from camera to flash.

Kent in SD

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:57 pm

I wrote a post that is now on the second page (I think) about the delivery of my CyberSync order, and how well the CyberSync system plays with PW's.

Your question seems right in line with what I tested and reported in that post. I too have a sackful of Pocket Wizards, and that post reflects my observations when using my current Pocket Wizard collection with my new CyberSync reality. Just scan the second page in this forum for a topic I'm guilty of posting, and I think the scenarios I tried and reported on will confirm that PW's and CyberSync can share time and space very well. I solved your specific question at the time by using the PW to fire my camera through a "motor drive" cord via trigger input from either another PW, or a Seconic meter equipped for the task, and subsequently triggering a CC, or CST mounted on the camera hot shoe. There are plenty of possible combinations, but the main point is that you can combine both systems, and not be forced to toss one or the other in the trash.

In hindsight, I just copied and pasted the link to the post here...
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=137

Voyager

Last edited by Voyager13b on Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Voyager13b wrote:
I wrote a post that is now on the second page (I think) about the delivery of my CyberSync order, and how well the CyberSync system plays with PW's.

Thanks I will take a look. I tried using the site's search feature but it said that "CyberSync" was to common of a word to search for :(

Top Top

#

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:21 am

Site Admin

Two23 wrote:
I have a box full of CyberSync CSRB and a pair of PW-II. Sometimes what I what to photo is too far away for CSRB even in relay mode. What I do is put PW-II in my camera hotshoe, then attach PW-II to a hotshoe adapter that has built-in PC port. I slide a CST into the hotshoe and then have it trigger a pod of nearby flash. This is how I jump long distances from camera to flash.

Kent in SD

Good idea. But this will reduce the max sync speed a bit because you have the PW delay plus the CS delay. The CS has less delay, but you may still make 1/200 on a 1/250 camera before black bar appears.

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:36 pm

I tested it and it works.

I ended up using this 3.5mm to 2.5mm mono adapter (which cost me $3.74 including shipping):
http://www.pchcables.com/3mojato2mopl.html

I already had a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable. So connect the adapter to the cable. Hook one end into the Pocket Wizard Plus II "Camera/Flash" port and the other end into the CyberSync CST 2.5mm port.

Note: Using the "Flash" port on the Pocket Wizard Plus II did not work for me. The "Camera/Flash" port did work.

You could also probably get this cable from FlashZebra.com:
http://www.flashzebra.com/wizardcables/0016.shtml
But it costs $13.00 plus shipping.

I also tried, as others suggested, using a hotshoe mount to put the CST into and then plug it into the Pocket Wizard Plus II. That also worked when hooked into the "Camera/Flash" port.

For that testing I used an adapter like this:
http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0126/index.shtml

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]