Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:48 pm

I just received some Ultra Clamps I ordered from Amazon and mated them up with the VML. This is clearly the easiest/best solution I've seen. It screws right in where the useless stock clamp used to live and grips the light stand solidly. It's like they were made for one another. Now if we can just get Paul to source some of these with a small ridge built in the back to prevent twisting...well then we'd have a pretty solid unit.

The stock clamp would never have gripped this diameter tubing.

I also found that tilting the bottom of the unit in towards the stand seems to reduce the strain from the weight of power cords and prevents the possibility of something pushing in on the unit and breaking the mount off. This would be even more effective with some sort of strap to keep it in place and support the weight.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this setup. I may start experimenting with attaching a "ridge" of metal to prevent twisting. What's a good adhesive for anodized aluminum to bare aluminum? Anyone with improvements is encouraged to share!

Oh yeah, here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/PEDCO-P-UCA-Pedco ... 675&sr=8-1

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Site Admin

Looks pretty good. But I would worry, from the picture, that the clamp and VML would slip away from the stand and fall off. I would at least put a bungee cord around the stand and VML to keep this from happening.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah, that's my next project. Although, this clamp is very secure feeling. It would take quite a jolt to dislodge it. I'd like to rig up a velco strap that just mounts to a couple velcro tabs on the side of the VML.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]