Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 14 posts ] 

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm new here so forgive me if this question has been raised before, but does anyone else out there wish these strobes had some kind of handle to grab on to?

I'm going to switch from the brand of monolights I currently use (that also does not have a handle) to Einsteins.

Not a big deal, since I've been using monolights this way for 5+ years, it just makes adjusting large softboxes a bit more difficult.

Bill F

http://picasaweb.google.com/faulknerstudios

Top Top

#

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:55 pm

I agree - a handle could be a nice addition to the current design. Perhaps a 1/4" threaded opening could be incorporated into the back of the units, where a short optional handle could screw in.

Top Top

Website

#

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:45 pm

The MPW studio has Elinchroms, which have a "trademark" handle. Two of the 6 are broken. I've never been in a studio that had Elinchroms where at least one handle wasn't broken.

Sure, handles on the lights are great, if you can somehow make them "unbreakable".

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Joseph S. Wisniewski wrote:
The MPW studio has Elinchroms, which have a "trademark" handle. Two of the 6 are broken. I've never been in a studio that had Elinchroms where at least one handle wasn't broken.

Sure, handles on the lights are great, if you can somehow make them "unbreakable".

If they were a plastic (even though they do some great things with plastic now-a-days) I can see where they might break. If they were aluminum I don't think it would be a problem.

I've actually sketched out a handle idea that I'll try when I get my Einsteins. If it works I'll let folks know.

Bill F

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:31 pm

That's one of the reasons why I felt the strobe could have a 1/4" standard tripod thread on it - if a handle breaks it could be replaced. Or another accessory can readily screw into it

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:54 am

Site Admin

If a handle is all that important you can put a 5/16" rod with a counterweight in the umbrella tube and it will serve as both a handle and a counterweight for softboxes. Einstein is small enough to grip and pick up with your hand and I don't think many users are going to shed a lot of tears over the lack of a handle. It's designed for minimal packed size . . . a handle big enough to be of any use would add to the packed size and require more baggage.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:17 am

All good points and seeing as how a bazillion WhiteLightning and Alien Bees have been sold without them chances are handles are a low priority feature for most folks. Dynalite and a few other companies certainly don't see the need for handles with their Monolights either.

I'll see how the Einsteins work for me and if necessary I'll try adding something.

Luap, it's really good to know you keep an eye on this forum. With too many other photography equipment companies it seems as if photographers, the people who actually use the equipment, are the last ones consulted by the folks building the stuff. While even with your products the designs are frozen by the time we get word of them I'll guess that some of the specs and features were influenced by your interaction with working professionals and now, perhaps, what you read here.

Thanks for having this forum and being involved with it.

Bill F

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:28 pm

i agree absolutely.

sknahT, Luap

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 pm

I have no problem picking up my ABs or WLs using the stand mount. I want the units to be as compact as possible. It isn't as if I am going to carry them around all day. I take them out of the case and immediately mount them on a stand. What use is there for a handle? When I had Speedotrons, I removed the handles from the heads.

By the way, using Firefox, I was unable to log into this forum in order to post. I had to switch to Internet Explorer.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:54 pm

i am posting using firefox 3.5.7 as i type this

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 14 posts ]