Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ] 

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:40 pm

Since only alkaline batteries are recommended for the Cyber Commanders I'm wondering if I can use the new NiZn batteries like the ones that http://www.powergenix.com/technology.php have available. I've read that when the are fully charged they can have up to 1.8 v. Would that be a problem with the Cyber Commanders. I wouldn't want to damage them but it looks like a way to get the full 1.5 v recommended & use a rechargeable.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:53 pm

jerock wrote:
Since only alkaline batteries are recommended for the Cyber Commanders I'm wondering if I can use the new NiZn batteries like the ones that http://www.powergenix.com/technology.php have available. I've read that when the are fully charged they can have up to 1.8 v. Would that be a problem with the Cyber Commanders. I wouldn't want to damage them but it looks like a way to get the full 1.5 v recommended & use a rechargeable.

I haven't seen any AAA NiZn batteries out there. Do they exist?

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:53 pm

You can find them on Amazon & follow the link I posted for a company making them. There are quite a few customer reviews on Amazon for them.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:20 pm

jerock wrote:
You can find them on Amazon & follow the link I posted for a company making them. There are quite a few customer reviews on Amazon for them.

All I see on Amazon are AA batteries. No AAA that I can see.

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Site Admin

We have not tested with the NiZn batteries. The issue with NiMH is the drop in voltage. As long as a battery can maintain a 1.5V (per cell), then there should not be an issue.

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:31 pm

You are right HappyCamp at this time they are not available in AAA. I would think it's a just a matter of time though.

Here's a link discussing the AA's in an SB900 with some videos.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/01/ne ... -fast.html

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:33 pm

My concern was the voltage over the 1.5v which has been measured up to 1.85 v on a fully charge battery.

Technical Support wrote:
We have not tested with the NiZn batteries. The issue with NiMH is the drop in voltage. As long as a battery can maintain a 1.5V (per cell), then there should not be an issue.

TS

Top Top

#

Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:36 pm

jerock wrote:
You are right HappyCamp at this time they are not available in AAA. I would think it's a just a matter of time though.

Here's a link discussing the AA's in an SB900 with some videos.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/01/ne ... -fast.html

I had thought about them for the CyberCommander when I first read that article, but couldn't find any AAA ones (which is what the CyberCommander uses). So I ended up buying a 4-pack of the Lithium AAA batteries.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:31 am

Site Admin

1.8V won't harm CC. Lithium AAA cels also produce 1.8V when fresh and they extend battery life 2-3 times over Alkaline.

Top Top

#

Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks it looks like if & when the NiZn batteries are available in AAA that would be a good choice for the CC.

Luap wrote:
1.8V won't harm CC. Lithium AAA cels also produce 1.8V when fresh and they extend battery life 2-3 times over Alkaline.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 12 posts ]