Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 128 posts ] 

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Any update on when the updated PLM will be available? I am on the pre-order list for Einstein's and would really like to be able to get the new PLM's right away when my # is up. I know I can probably put them on my order, get the accessory discount, etc, but I don't currently have any modifiers (these will be my first studio lights) so if I can't get the PLM when the Einstein's ship I'll have to either go without a modifier (not really practical) or buy something else to use in the interim.

Also, can you give me an idea of how the softness and output of the 64" silver PLM with diffusion fabric would compare to the foldable octabox? I like everything I've read about the PLM but I would really like to be able to mount my lights to the ceiling to keep stands and cords out of the reach of toddlers. Unless of course you could develop a PLM that would have a solid center mounting shaft allowing the PLM/light to be mounted from behind... but I won't get my hopes up on that. :D

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:56 pm

munzzzzzzz wrote:
Any update on when the updated PLM will be available? I am on the pre-order list for Einstein's and would really like to be able to get the new PLM's right away when my # is up. ...

When I spoke with PCB Customer Service yesterday I was told the PLM V2 was expected the end of this month. That said, let's not forget that Technical Support posted on this very forum on Jan. 11 that the PLM V2 would be coming "within six weeks or so". That was almost three months ago. In other words, I don't think they really know (but I hope I'm wrong).

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Yeah, it sounded like it was mainly an issue with the chinese supplier, and I understand and respect that, I'm just wondering if the dates have been firmed up at all.

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 pm

munzzzzzzz wrote:
.... I'm just wondering if the dates have been firmed up at all.

Given the lack of response by TS, maybe the answer is "No, the dates haven't firmed up as yet" ??

AB

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Site Admin

I'm working with the vendor every day, and tweaking the shape for the best possible results. I have so many test samples in my lab I can hardly walk through it. It's really tough to get hand sewn fabrics to maintain the exact desired shape. Not hard on ordinary umbrellas because shape inaccuracies have little effect. But the highly reflective nature of silver PLM is extremely demanding in this regard.

Walk a mile in my shoes sometime . . . and I'm going to be 74 this month. Anyone out there that can do 1/4 the work I do with 1/4 the results in 4 times the time ought to apply - we have a job for you.

While the dates aren't completely firm, they should be close.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:48 am

Luap wrote:
.....and I'm going to be 74 this month......

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Luap
Happy birthday to you.*

*Sung to the tune of "Happy birthday to you".

Luap wrote:
While the dates aren't completely firm, they should be close.

Thanks, that's good news !!

I definitely getting me one of these, I read a review (umm.... somewhere on the 'Net) just yesterday saying just how awesome they (Mk 1) were !!

AB.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:57 am

Add me to the list of those wanting the PLMII when I get the Einstein.

For me the reasons I want them are not the efficiency so much but:

1. the pretty round specular highlights they create in the subjects' eyes. If the front diffusion fabric had the little corners masked to make the highlight PERFECTLY round, that would be even better. I hate the octaboxes as they neither emulate the sun (perfectly round) nor the window (rectangular) as far as these highlights in the subjects' eyes go.

2. compactness, and the speed of setup/tear-down. Hopefully this will be more or less similar for V2.

I do not own the PLM but I've seen the results. As a bare silver reflector it is extremely efficient, which is to say it sends most of the light strictly parallel (or evenly converging / diverging). There aren't a lot of intersecting light rays hitting the same spot on the subject from multiple directions. As a result the light is a little bit like on those Apollo moon shots - it shows relief and texture very well but there's not a lot of shadow fill going on.

Attaching a front diffusion fabric (esp in conjunction with using a white not silver umbrella) should help with that a big deal. I hope Paul considers some of the following (if not done already):

1. Make available a range of front diffusion fabric densities - regular, half-density (less light loss, less diffusion), and double-density (softest light, at the expense of additional light loss).

2. Incorporate attachment points on spokes about 3/4 of the way out, for an optional additional internal diffusion fabric. This would create a light intensity pattern that gently tapers off at the periphery. Potentially a more flattering light, or at least a way to further maximize the diffusion/light softness and shadow fill.

3. I do not know if the Black Outer Cover Fabric is silver on the side facing the white umbrella, but if it were it would further increase the efficiency without any measurable downside. The same, with a pinch more reservation, goes for the Black Front Spill-Kill Fabric.

-- Alex Karasev

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Site Admin

Alex.K.NY wrote:
Add me to the list of those wanting the PLMII when I get the Einstein.

For me the reasons I want them are not the efficiency so much but:

1. the pretty round specular highlights they create in the subjects' eyes. If the front diffusion fabric had the little corners masked to make the highlight PERFECTLY round, that would be even better. I hate the octaboxes as they neither emulate the sun (perfectly round) nor the window (rectangular) as far as these highlights in the subjects' eyes go.

2. compactness, and the speed of setup/tear-down. Hopefully this will be more or less similar for V2.

I do not own the PLM but I've seen the results. As a bare silver reflector it is extremely efficient, which is to say it sends most of the light strictly parallel (or evenly converging / diverging). There aren't a lot of intersecting light rays hitting the same spot on the subject from multiple directions. As a result the light is a little bit like on those Apollo moon shots - it shows relief and texture very well but there's not a lot of shadow fill going on.

Attaching a front diffusion fabric (esp in conjunction with using a white not silver umbrella) should help with that a big deal. I hope Paul considers some of the following (if not done already):

1. Make available a range of front diffusion fabric densities - regular, half-density (less light loss, less diffusion), and double-density (softest light, at the expense of additional light loss).

2. Incorporate attachment points on spokes about 3/4 of the way out, for an optional additional internal diffusion fabric. This would create a light intensity pattern that gently tapers off at the periphery. Potentially a more flattering light, or at least a way to further maximize the diffusion/light softness and shadow fill.

3. I do not know if the Black Outer Cover Fabric is silver on the side facing the white umbrella, but if it were it would further increase the efficiency without any measurable downside. The same, with a pinch more reservation, goes for the Black Front Spill-Kill Fabric.

-- Alex Karasev

Alex, this is a big design challenge with a modifier like PLM. If it transmits absolute parallel rays the subject cannot receive illumination from every area of the umbrella, but will tend to see only the center portion. In order to produce the full umbrella surface as a catchlight, the umbrella must be focused such that the rays from every part of the surface converge at the subject . . . very narrow coverage and extreme output.

The challenge is to shape the PLM such that the shape produces the optimal compromise between parallel rays and adjustable focal point. I spend a lot of time drawing vectors and testing to find the best overall response. Working on that right now.

Then communicating this optimal shape to the sewing factories is a really difficult task, as is hand sewing samples.

Of course, if you dull down the silver fabric or put diffusion in front of it you equalize the pattern and always see the entire surface . . . at the cost of greatly reduced output.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:23 am

STOP THE PRESSES !!

If it's not too late, and I really truly hope it's not, if the PLM's shaft is not "solid" could we please have it so ?

Like my Softlighter II............

As I was loading the Softlighter II into the strobe head over the weekend, I thought how good the uncrushable solid shaft was compared to just about every crushed umbrella shaft I have !!!

Thanks,

AB.

Top Top

#

Thu May 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Paul:

Any news on the PLM II front?

Thanks

AK

Top Top

Website

Post a reply