Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:11 pm

How hard is it to invent a monolight with "true" highspeed sync ability with onboard software for particular brands? Only thing available now are older type monolights that have a longer flash duration. How about one that actually pulse the way on camera speedlights do?

Top Top

#

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 am

Site Admin

The construction probably would not be all that hard. Programming would be the biggest pain. Every camera model, even within the same brand, will act differently. Each shutter speed within the same camera will act differently. Even if we limited it to Nikon and Canon, there are hundreds of combinations that would have to be programmed, then updated as new models appear. Plus the added expense of buying each camera in order to be able to support the programming.

Top Top

#

Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 pm

I figured! And pocket wizard is addressing similar issues now. It's a lot of economical hurdles to clear as well. And I don't see a willingness to cooperate in tech sharing. Specially from Canon lol

Thanks

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08 pm

dmadden wrote:
I figured! And pocket wizard is addressing similar issues now. It's a lot of economical hurdles to clear as well. And I don't see a willingness to cooperate in tech sharing. Specially from Canon lol

Thanks

Remember that Hyper-sync (PW) and Highspeed Sync (Canon) are two completely different things.
The first is a tweak to X sync timing that permits taking best advantage of a strobe tube's tail after the main burst. Essentially making the strobe a short duration continuous light source.

The second is a rapid flashing of the strobe at something less than full power to lengthen the "total" flash duration so that a consistent volume of light is available throughout the shutter slit's travel across the sensor. Another approach to providing a continuous light source for the duration of the exposure. i.e. shutter curtain travel.

It's important to remember that shutter speeds greater than sync speed are achieved by passing a slit across the sensor. 1/8000 is a narrow slit, 1/1000 is a wider slit.

For a monolight to be able to function in a hypersync exposure it is best for it to have a long, mildly sloping tail.

For a monolight to function in a HSS exposure it has to able to pulse based on the control of the camera manufacturer's HSS algorithms. For PCB, or PW or anyone else that means reverse engineering the camera manufacturer's technology.

If HSS could be added to the Einstein for $200 MSRP per unit its probably an attractive market opportunity. If it got much more expensive, the market would contract.

I suspect that, for Paul, its much less a technical challenge than a business decision driven by profitability. Which is what every business owner, manager should use as the ultimate criteria for bringing a product or feature to market.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]