Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 13 posts ] 

Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Hello from france,

I experienced a lot of problems with my Cyber Commander (no antenna.) since I update it from v24 or v26 (can't remember) to v40.

Before that, I already had problems, but it was not a big deal.
Here are the issues I can remember on the v24 (or v26) :
- When I put in or out the Micro SD, the CC rebooted
- It would reboot if I triggered it a lot in a small amount of time, by clicking the right stick (Metering) or even on the camera (d300).
- Troubles with sometimes not firing the Cybersync triggers ( CSRB+ )

Except that, everything was pretty OK, all channel would fire all channels, channel 1 would fire channel 1 only, ch2 fire ch2, so on.

But since V40, it's no use anymore.

Here is the situation :
I have 4 CSRB+, 1 cyber commander, all the batteries are full (enelooop 2nd gen), ready to fire.
CSRB+ on frequency 1, and one channel per CSRB. (ch1/ch2/ch3/ch4).
Basic setup. CC to fire all channel, hitting the meter or flash button on the CC, nothing, hit refresh, still no reaction from the CSRB.
Now, i switch the CC to frequency 5, CSRB on freq 5, all ch, every csrb fire. OK so far, then, i want to fire CSRB #3 on CH 3, so CC on ch3, hit fire, CSRB #4 fires !!!! Now switch back to all chan, only #4 fires !! And whatever channel I choose on the CC, only #4 fires !!
To make them fire again, I need to change frequency on the four CSRBs and the CC as well. Hit fire, they fire together, now if i choose only one channel (whatever it is), only the number 4 will fire..

So I can flash all the CSRB together, or one only by choosing whatever channel...WTF ??

Also, if I hit meter on the CC, sometime it will reboot randomly..

And finally, the last issue : plugin a CSRB to an AB800 (plugged on vagabond, itself charging on wall socket for the test,France 220v outlet/110v AB800) the LED on the Bee would turn red. So I take out one battery of the CSRB, put it back, the led turns green, It fires when asked but with the issues above..Then, if I make one single change on the CC (channel..) the LED on the bee turns RED. When I define a AB800 on a channel, it won't recognize the settings..Cannot change the power of the bee...

So my CC turned into a simple cybersync trigger...

So i think I need to change my Cyber commander, isn't it ???

infos :
Cyber Commander
FCC ID : OUECSXCVR1
IC : 6866A-CSXVR1

CSRB+ :
FCC ID : OUECSXCVR1
IC : 6866A-CSXVR1

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Top Top

#

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 am

Site Admin

I would try to reflash the firmware, and see if things improve. Also, be sure your power sliders are set to FULL on each flash. Are the outlets you are using grounded? Also, have you tried to reverse the polarity of the lights' power cord (i.e. unplugging the cord and rotating it 180 degrees so the pins go into the opposite holes)?

**Note** some 240V outlets allow polarity reversal, some do not.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 am

Hello,

I reflashed the firmware, nothing changed.

As for the outlet, it was not grounded, but if i don't plug the vagabond the wall outlet, it's the same (I discovered the issues during an on-location shoot with vagabond only)..

I flashed, I configured my AB800 on ch 1 freq 1, as soon as press refresh, the light goes red on the bee, so I guess the issue is definitly coming from the CC..

Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:10 am

Site Admin

Are you using rechargables in the Cyber Commander? What is the CC's serial number (it was not listed in the info in the first post. It should be just next to the battery door).

Once the lights no longer flash, will the recievers blink red in response to a trigger signal? When you try to fire a light that does not respond, do you get a red outline on that channel?

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 am

I'm using duracell ultra, no rechargables.
Cc's serial is
FCC ID: 0UECSXCVR1
IC : 6866A-CSXVR1.

When the light no longer flashes the receiver does not respond...need to remove the batteries from the receiver to have a response..

I'm not home now , i will have to try again for the red outline, but i guess i'd answer yes. I do remember some red outline but when exactly.

Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 am

Site Admin

Ok, let me know when you can. Also, the information provided does not contain the s/n. The s/n would be on a white sticker next to the battery compartment with a bar code (or, on older models, a clear sticker with white text and no bar code). If there is no sticker, or if it is unreadable, I can look the purchase up by name or order number (if you have it still).

Top Top

#

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:44 am

Sorry about the delay..

The S/N on the CC is 2553

Top Top

#

Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 pm

Site Admin

Ok, that is the serial number, and that helps.

On the Cyber Commander, at the very bottom of the graph, do you have white dashes (that matches the text in the lower corners) or gray dashes (which match the gray lines in the graph), or no dashes?

Did you go into OPEN MEMORY> OPEN FROM STUDIO in the setup screen?

Did you define the lights as AB800's (or whatever each light actually is)?

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:33 am

Sorry about the delay..again..

at the very bottom of the graph, I have a grey dash, and ab800 is selected for the ch1.
I didnt go to open from studio.
For the other lights, I select speedlight.

Here I used ch1 only, no other channel..

If I remember correctly, I should have a white dash instead of the grey, right ?

thanks

Top Top

#

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Site Admin

If the there is a grey dash instead of a white on then that channel it is in standby. To take the channel out of standby simply go to LIGHT SETTINGS in the function menu screen.
Make sure you are on the correct channel (lower left of screen) and then scroll down to POWER parmeter and with the left joystick click up. This should take you from STANDBY to ON setting.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 13 posts ]