Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 45 posts ] 

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:26 am

kenyee wrote:
Didn't hear back from them about it, though I did find out that the US Bowens rep is about an hour drive from me so I guess I could show up on his doorstep to annoy him more :P

Good idea! Please also ask for a 16-hole Quickring. I've got two very large strip lights (Aurora Litebank) I'd like to use with the Quickring but there is too much space between the holes of the 8-hole Quickring causing too much tension on the rods.
Regards,
Michael

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Dave F.

What is the material (tape) along the top/sides of the e640?

Thanks,

Al

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 pm

ajm wrote:
Dave F.

What is the material (tape) along the top/sides of the e640?

Thanks,

Al

I was wondering if anyone would ask. It's 3M anti-skid tape, 1":

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... o?pid=2159

One of my local hardware stores sells it by the foot. I've applied it to all four of my Einsteins. Their smooth plastic surfaces make them impossible to pick up with one hand. With the tape:

In addition to the strips you see along the sides, I have some on the top and bottom surfaces so the lights can be picked up safely in any orientation.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:52 pm

I had seen your original post, so didn't need to ask ;) . I will say, your application of the tape is masterful, the fit is so perfect that it looks like it came that way.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Dave F.

Great idea - thanks for the information.

Al

Top Top

#

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:06 pm

tetrode wrote:
However, with an octa mounted, one of the rods will occupy the Quick Ring's 3/8-16 mounting hole. This precludes the ring from being mounted directly on a lightstand.

Dave, I somehow spaced this key detail. Are you aware of any Quick ring for an Octa that still has a direct stand mount option?

Top Top

#

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Dave Jr wrote:
Dave, I somehow spaced this key detail. Are you aware of any Quick ring for an Octa that still has a direct stand mount option?

There are some speedrings, Dave, that have 10 holes, two of which are tapped (1/4-20 and 3/8-16). I have a few Photoflex rings configured that way. However, even these rings do not provide a particularly good solution for direct stand mounting. The reason is that the stand mounting hole is located in the same plane as the the rod holes That presents problems when it comes time to wrap up/seal the rear of the octa. The stand mounting arrangement interferes with the modifier's fabric skirt. Depending upon the specific octa in use, it may be possible to close up the back of the modifier (it might not be pretty, though).

The beauty of that eBay ring seen in my photos is that the stand mounting platform is offset behind the rod holes. That affords some opportunity for the modifier's rear skirt to be inserted in front of the stand mount. With 16 holes, that ring is usable with anything. Again, this is the ring:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightstand-3-8- ... 029wt_1396

There may be other speedrings out there that can accomplish the same thing. I just don't know of them.

Dave F.

Top Top

#

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Agreed, that is a great ring, and cheaper than a Bowen's Quick Ring plus SP Studio AB insert. It's just that my Visico is a PITA to set the rods, so I would be willing to pay extra for an Octa Quick Ring with stand mount option if one existed. I think I will end up returning the Bowens ring I ordered and get the one you linked and just keep the box assembled all the time.

Thanks for all the info.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 am

tetrode wrote:
Dave Jr wrote:
That's a very nice speedring, with or without the pivot clamp.

Yes, I'm quite pleased. It's made by Falcon Eyes in Hong Kong. It works with 16-sided modifiers like my Rimelite Grand Box but works equally well with octas and square/rectangular softboxes. It also works with strips. Very handy. The cast in mounting platform on the ring can interfere with the rear flaps on certain softboxes. Definitely not a deal-killer.

Interestingly, about a month ago I emailed Falcon Eyes to ask if they would sell me one of these rings directly. This was long before I found them on eBay. Anyway, Falcon Eyes replied that they'd be happy to for $82 shipped. Glad I waited. Oeccamera charges less than half as much for the same item.

Dave F.

Hey Dave, I bought this ring, but with the pivot clamp, since I didn't have a heavy duty umbrella mount. It is a great ring, and the Balcar insert that it ships with is really nice and works very securely with the Einstein mount fingers (I ordered an extra one to use with a Pro Studio Solutions EZ Box).

But, I'm not sure what they were thinking with the design, there is not enough relief to clear the strobe mount, even collapsed, so I had to mount the strobe upside down. Also, it does interfere with the rear flap closure, as you mentioned. Still works, but I wish I had ordered the one you have, without the pivot clamp.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Dave Jr wrote:
But, I'm not sure what they were thinking with the design, there is not enough relief to clear the strobe mount, even collapsed, so I had to mount the strobe upside down. Also, it does interfere with the rear flap closure, as you mentioned. Still works, but I wish I had ordered the one you have, without the pivot clamp.

I was concerned about that, Dave, which is why I opted for the "plain" version. With your version, it does appear that inserting a 1/4" - 3/8" riser/spacer between the ring and its base would provide enough clearance for the Einstein to be mounted in the proper orientation:

What I can't tell from OEC's photo is whether the nut identified with the question mark would interfere with the E640's light stand mount.

Dave F.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 45 posts ]