Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 am

Hello guys I have a few issues/questions I want to discuss.

I use the cyber commander and 3 AB-800 and have 3 CSRB+ receivers. I have a Nikon D300s with studio capabilities.
I installed the CSRB+ following the procedures and they are recognized by the cyber commander. I'm able to make some adjustments from a distance to all of them (going up and down in power).

When I go in the ''group'' screen and I try to disable one of the strobe I get different results for each of them. The first two, when I disable them, they come back to full power. The other one when I disable, it gets disabled as it should. I'm just wondering why this is happening.

I tried changing the CSRB+ from one strobe to another to see if the issue was coming from them but it is always the same two strobes that end up going back to full power when disabled and always the same that disables as supposed. Any idea what's going on?

Second question:
From time to time I'd like to simply use my cyber commander as a ''trigger only'' device, while still making manual adjustments to the AB800. Is there an option that would allow me to proceed that way? I'd like to be able to do that in case I get confused with the cyber commander options while I'm doing a photo shoot. Please advise!

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 am

Site Admin

When you go to groups, I presume the screen on the Cyber Commander only highlights the light or lights you wish to work with. Only certain lights when they are not highlighted are going to full power, correct? And by full power, do you mean the model lamp only witht eh flash not firing. Or does the flash also fire at full power? Also, make sure the slider is to the far right, and all model lamp buttons are pushed in. Is the one porperly working light on a different circuit than the others?

As for a trigger only device, you can connect the recievers to the lights via the regular 1/8" sync cords. Do not use the telephone cords. In this configuration, you can make adjustments via the back panel but trigger from the CC. You will also be able to control groups and meter in the same manner as if you were using the telephone cord.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks for clearly answering my second question I'll try that out tonight.

First question:
When I go to groups and I select ALL and remove the 3 green lines (disabling them all) the modelling lights go back to full power in two of my AB800 and it turns off with the other AB800. I also tried to disable them individually, Channel 1, 2 and then 3 and the same thing happens. I haven't tried the flash though, I'll need to try it tonight and will be back to you with more info. The sliders are far right, all buttons are pushed in. They were all set up the exact same way prior to installing the receiving device (I did it twice to ensure the set up was identical). The only light shutting down as supposed once it's disabled is not on a particular circuit and I tried to switch it with another one just to see and it does the same thing where ever I put it.

The receiving device (CSRB+) is plugged in only with the phone cord. The dummy plug is inserted in the AB800 but is not attached to anything else.

They are all set as ''Main'' in the description. I did that to ensure consistency in my tests.

Where ever I put it and what ever the channel/receiving device i'm using, it's always the same pattern when disabled from the group:

White AB800: Modelling light back to full power
Green AB800: Modelling light back to full power
Pink AB800: Modelling light disabled

On the light setting screen I'm on ''TRACK'' and the power in ''ON''. I disregarded the other 3 options as per the manual. If I change TRACK to FULL, they all change to FULL. If I change TRACK to OFF, two of them change to FULL and the pink on turns OFF...

The spec lights are set the same for the 3 strobes: SB800, 150W modelling lamps

I believe it sums it all, sorry for all the info but I thought it would be easier for you to help with all the info.

I'll come back with info about the flash, if in the mean time you have any idea what it could be don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks

Etienne

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Site Admin

I will consult the rest of the tech team and contact you on how to rectify this problem.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:15 am

Got your e-mail yesterday, thanks a lot

Top Top

#

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:00 am

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same problem with my AB800 and CC. I am using CSR+ but have same problem- modeling lamp goes to full on when not in selected group, or when disabled. Flash fires properly though.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]