Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:35 pm

I just got my B800 and was wondering if I could use it without a soft box. If so what are the advantages and disadvantages. I'm a noob to photography so please forgive me if this question has been answered already.

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:00 am

Site Admin

Yes, you can use a soft box or other modifier or no modifier. There are many options, and each exists due to the unique effect each brings. Specifically, softboxes diffuse the light, creating a gentle transition from highlight to shadow areas due to thier larger surface area. Bare bulb, or no modifer, will result in "harsher" transitions from highlight to shadow areas due to the smaller surface area of the flash tube (assuming the same distance). Reflectors, umbrellas, grids, softboxes, beauty dishes and other modifiers will give you different variations on this principle.

While not "wrong", a bare bulb flash is not typically used aimed directly at the subject. However, it is not uncommon to have a bare tube flash head aimed away from the subject in order to have the light bounce off many surfaces for a wrapping effect (like a really really big bounce umbrella).

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Site Admin

The starting point for most photographers would be an umbrella. The most generally effective, easiest to use, as well as low cost umbrella, in my opinion, would be the 51" Soft Silver PLMâ„¢ with straight 8mm shaft http://www.paulcbuff.com/plm.php

Top Top

#

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:40 am

JWood12 - here is a great place to learn about lighting: http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/. Start with the Lightning 101 link and have fun!

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]