Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 am

I was searching for the compatibility of Vagabond II for my
Elinchrom BXRI 500 kit, but I couldn't find it.
Can I use it for BXRI 500 ?

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:53 am

Site Admin

We have no offical data on that light, as we have not tested it. Generally speaking, light that have a digital control tend to not be compatabile. This is due to the current limiting of the VII inverter. As the draw increases (upon recycling after a shot), the voltage drops. Most analog lights can handle this drop in voltage (think of a lamp in a brown out), however the micro processors in digital lights tend to not like the drop, and shut down (think of your TV in the same brown out). Again, this is a generalization, and your mileage may vary from one light to the next. You are welcome to try the VII for 60 days to see if it will suit your needs.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Short answer. No.. it doesn't work.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:45 pm

Site Admin

CreV, is this from personal experience? I ask so we can get a better idea of what does and does not work, and we really don't have any info with this combo (the answer it not just a blow off response).

Thanks,

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Site Admin

CreV wrote:
Short answer. No.. it doesn't work.

Posts on Fred Miranda mostly say it does work. It depends on how many lights you try to power.

See http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/ ... astmessage

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:51 pm

do some searches. There are actually Video's out there that use the VBII with some Elinchrom lights comparing them to other portal power options. I think they were using RX lights (not BX) though. They certainly were working very well for the person shooting the comparison video

Russell

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:06 am

I did some researchs for it and I figured out that Vagabond ii might not work with BXRI because of bi volatge problem. Innovatronix provide another version of powerpack for BXRI user. I think Alien Bee need to add something to solve bi voltage problem as if Innovatrix did.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:51 pm

kwangde7 wrote:
........ I think Alien Bee need to add something to solve bi voltage problem as if Innovatrix did.

Hmmmm........

If PCB designed the VB for his range of lights, and by all accounts it works very well with his range, I believe that you cannot expect it to work with other brands of lights.

The VB is not sold as a "Universal Strobe Power Supply", and sure, it may work with some other brands, but this should be seen as a bonus when it does work, and not as a negative when it doesn't !!

Sort of like complaining that the Elinchrom Ranger packs won't work with AB lights.....

AB

Top Top

#

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 am

Site Admin

If you look back in history, there was no inverter battery supply in existence when we introduced Vagabond. This, like many other innovations, was pioneered by Paul C. Buff, Inc. Yes, it's designed for our equipment, as is Cyber Commander and CyberSync. People pick up these products and expect them to automatically work with everything in the world. That is not our goal . . . we are not here to compete with everyone in the world . . . we are innovators, not competitors. A bit like Apple in that regard.

Top Top

#

Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Just received my Vagabond Mini and hooked my Elinchrom BXRI 500's (2) at the same time and recycled Great . Love my Bxri's 500's with the new Vagabond Micro . Picked up a extra battery to have charged and ready .

Thanks Paul Buff Inc.

Sean Dean
www.SeanDeanPhotography.com

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]