Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ] 

Wed May 02, 2012 10:19 am

Hi,

I've just started with strobe lights - notably a pair of WL10000's and a few other types with stands and gels that I found on a local craigslist for a lot price of just $75! I know these are old, but the price was way too good to pass up, plus they all work flawlessly.

Anyway, I'm looking to fit a soft box with one of these. I see that at one time, PBC sold soft boxes for them, but no longer. I can't believe I'm the first interested in these for the WL10000 / WL5000 after they've stopped being sold - so I thought I'd see if any one here has any information / how to's / sources to fit the WL10000 to a soft box. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

Top Top

#

Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 am

Site Admin

http://www.paulcbuff.com/speedrings.php last item, WLPA.

This will fit many square/retangular softboxes. Notably, Photoflex (White Lightning Photoflex Adapter. Photoflex was the brand softbox we sold at the time the adapter was introduced, I believe).

Top Top

#

Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks for the quick reply! This information is helpful - I have messaged Photoflex asking if there is an limitation to specific models from being coupled to a WL10000 via WLPA, or if they all would work.

You said that it would probably fit many different square or rectangular boxes. Do you have any technical specs / requirements to secure the WLPA to other boxes that I could use to reduce the selection of soft boxes to those that can couple to it?

Thanks again,

Steve

Top Top

#

Thu May 03, 2012 11:26 am

Site Admin

They are 7.5" across, and have 1cm holes for the rods. While the overall shape is different, this is common to many speedrings, including our LGSR, and therefore many brands of softboxes. Photoflexes will work. Creative Light and Westcott should also, though those have not been specifically tested. There are likely others, but no specifics come to mind. I am fairly certain Larsen will not, as they have thier own proprietary speedrings, but you can check.

Note, you cannot use octaboxes, as there are only provisions for 4 rods.

Top Top

#

Thu May 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Great info - exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate the time spent obtaining dimensional specs and suggestions of other soft box makers for me.

Lastly a comment. I had heard the support for PCB stuff was very good.. but as a second-hand owner of truly vintage equipment, I felt I might be dismissed. I am very happy and impressed with the information I have received and the speed of which it was obtained for me.

Thanks!

Top Top

#

Fri May 11, 2012 4:12 pm

Technical Support wrote:
They are 7.5" across, and have 1cm holes for the rods. While the overall shape is different, this is common to many speedrings, including our LGSR, and therefore many brands of softboxes.

I have placed an order with PCB for a WLPA ring and happened upon an ebay auction for "Paul C Buff 24"x36" Foldable Softbox"

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-C-Buff-24- ... 2ebdfd7384)

Would this soft box work with the WLPA on a WL10000? Or is there something that would preventing it from fitting?

Thanks!

Top Top

#

Fri May 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Site Admin

That will not work. The round speedring is integral to the box, and it is not designed to interface with that light.

Top Top

#

Fri May 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Technical Support wrote:
That will not work. The round speedring is integral to the box, and it is not designed to interface with that light.

Ok - the seller said that "the speed ring is already attached" which made me think I could simply remove it. I'm glad I now know to ask if the speed ring is readily removable or not.

Is it correct to assume that soft boxes come w/o speed rings - so that they can be fitted to whichever light manufacturer is used?

Top Top

#

Fri May 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Site Admin

ButMost softboxes either come without a speedring, or come with one as a sperate item. Usually, these can be swapped to adapt to most lights. Most softboxes from manufacturers of reasonable quality will fit most speedrings from the same kind of manufacturer. I can't make any blanket statments, as there are notable exceptions and possibly some confounding nuance exceptions to this rule.

The WLPA gets its name from the fact it was designed for use with photoflex.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 9 posts ]