Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ] 

Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:14 am

Hi...
Can anyone help me and give directions on where i can find such a thing? I was thinking that got be like a filter or gel or something liike that...
What i want/need is something that will simulate the effect like using a black light? And i want to use this for portraits .
Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 am

Site Admin

I would imagine you would want something like a B+W 403 filter. This allows only UV light to pass, and visible light to be filtered. You may also find some UV-pass filters for lighting.

However, the tubes on Einstein are UV coated, so the UV emissions are inherently low from our flash units.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:58 am

i didn`t explain myself well enough...
Another brand of flash have an accessory that is an UV Attachment to put in the flash and im looking for something that i can use with my einsteins.
It was easier to explain if i post the other brand uv attachment link but since its from another manufacter i dont know if its possible.
Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Site Admin

There should not be any problems posting a link.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Ok ...
accessory link - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... hment.html

What i want to get from this accessory is something like this - http://blog.lindsayadlerphotography.com ... 23-440.jpg

(photo by : Lindsay Adler)

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Any ideia how to simulate the effect posted earlier?

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Site Admin

You will need a UV pass filter, which is essentially what the Bron device is. I believe Rosco makes one, but they are not big, and they are not cheap. This will cut visible light and let UV transmission pass through. However, as I have stated, the tubes of the Einstein are UV coated, and do not emit a large amount of UV light, especially at the shorter wave lengths. You may still get some light, I am not sure how effective it will be.

We coat the tubes for general photography since UV light can fluoresce treated fabrics, which can cause a blue cast if the fabric is a softbox or umbrella. Or can cause a blue cast on the fabric if it is, say, a wedding dress.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:24 pm

IIRC, the older tubes (old Zeus and X2400 heads) didn't have the UV coating so those might help...

Don't use it too much or wear sunblock if you do..you're effectively tanning in the sun when you fire off a UV pulse...

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 8 posts ]