Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:14 pm

I am not new to photography but new to studio work. I am currently setting up a studio in my home in Costa Rica where 90% will be live model shooting fro about max of 15feet away. I am not certain what I will need for lighting in terms of watts per strobe. I am using 2 Nikon SB 800 speedlights but have been looking at some AKIPHOTO 500w/s strobes. I think that I will need 1 on either side behind me using either direct shooting or using umbrellas or softboxes. I am thinking of using another on a boom over the model as a modeling light. All will be syncd with triggers vs using cables. Of course I will have many types of muslin backdrops. gels,barndoors, etc when wanted for effects. I am shooting with a NIKON D90 and will soon have a D3X. I have a NIKON NIKKOR 18-70mm 1.3-5.6 and a NIKON NIKKOR 18-105mm 1.3-5.6 VR lens. I am in the process of getting a NIKON NIKKOR 18-200mm 1.3-4.5 VR. Would I be better off for PLAYBOY quality work with a fixed 105mm 1.2-??? or will those I have be good. Will the 500WS be too much or should I go lower-say 300-400 w/s?

Top Top

#

Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Site Admin

We greatly appreciate the interest you have in our forum, products, and our company in general. However, we have developed this forum for discussions of technical issues, more so than sales, equipment, and technique suggestions. Our customer service/sales department will gladly assist you in making selections on what equipment to purchase. Please contact them at info@paulcbuff.com or 1-800-443-5542.

Thanks again

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:21 pm

masnart98 wrote:
I am in the process of getting a NIKON NIKKOR 18-200mm 1.3-4.5 VR. Would I be better off for PLAYBOY quality work with a fixed 105mm 1.2-??? or will those I have be good. Will the 500WS be too much or should I go lower-say 300-400 w/s?

Technical support was right about staying on topic, however I'll endeavor to reply very briefly.

You can never have too much power in your main light (or two). Power = versatility in terms of light modifiers, subject size, placement, ISO, aperture and so on. Many folks here including me are waiting for the 640W/S Einstein, which is a new generation tech and looks to be a killer deal. I suggest you look into getting a couple, along with PLM (see the main site) or PLMII. And don't light your models from both sides equally - you'll make them look fat.

Best
Alex

Top Top

Website

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]