Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Is it safe to use the Einstein in Subfreezing temperatures?
Any side affects?

(I searched for this answer and could not find it)
Thanks!

Top Top

#

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Site Admin

We generally do not recommend using our lights below 32F. However, there will be some inherent additional warmth generated by the flash unit, which will serve to keep the unit a little warmer than ambient (it wont explode at 31F). However, as you get significantly colder, the temperatures can have a negative effect on the electrolytic material in the capacitors.

Top Top

#

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:04 pm

some guy on the Fred Miranda forums photographs trains in the snow w/ Einsteins and VMLs...he hasn't had any issues that I know of, but he also hasn't posted in a while :|

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Will this have a permanent effect on the electrolytic material?
Thanks for your knowledge!
Rich Ryan

PS I used them at 5F with the vagabond mini and they 'seemed' to work ok.

Technical Support wrote:
We generally do not recommend using our lights below 32F. However, there will be some inherent additional warmth generated by the flash unit, which will serve to keep the unit a little warmer than ambient (it wont explode at 31F). However, as you get significantly colder, the temperatures can have a negative effect on the electrolytic material in the capacitors.

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Site Admin

richryan wrote:

Once damaged, it would be permanent. However, it is no secret people use our lights in extreme cold environments without problems. Our lights, though, were not specifically engineered for cold weather, so we cannot make guarantees or recommendations to use them in such.

For what it is worth, I would bet the operating range of your camera is listed no lower than 0C or 32F on the low end. I have not found a spec on some of the "other" lights, but I would suspect similar ratings. Personally, even if I would be 100% on the hook, if I was willing to risk a $1000+ camera ($350+ repair), I would risk a $400 or less ($100 or less repair) light.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 am

TS,
One more question, If it were damaged. How would I know.
Complete failure, or slow recycle or inconsistent operation?

It's good for me to know all this and will relay the cautions to the places I teach,
Ai Minnesota College and the Minneapolis Photo Center.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful replies, I appreciate it!
RR

Technical Support wrote:
richryan wrote:

Once damaged, it would be permanent. However, it is no secret people use our lights in extreme cold environments without problems. Our lights, though, were not specifically engineered for cold weather, so we cannot make guarantees or recommendations to use them in such.

For what it is worth, I would bet the operating range of your camera is listed no lower than 0C or 32F on the low end. I have not found a spec on some of the "other" lights, but I would suspect similar ratings. Personally, even if I would be 100% on the hook, if I was willing to risk a $1000+ camera ($350+ repair), I would risk a $400 or less ($100 or less repair) light.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Site Admin

It really depends on what component actually fails. It could be a weak flash, no flash, or a loud pop.

Top Top

#

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 pm

thanks Kenyee!

kenyee wrote:
some guy on the Fred Miranda forums photographs trains in the snow w/ Einsteins and VMLs...he hasn't had any issues that I know of, but he also hasn't posted in a while :|

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

To recap
I used two of the four outside at 5F (-15C) for two hours straight at full power,
Feb 3rd 2013. (I am not sure which two!)

I tested all four of my Einsteins today.
I lined the Einsteins up in a row and tested bare bulb at 8.5ft
Two units gave me f16.1
Two units gave me f16.6

I rotated the the order of the lights positions and got the same results.
The brighter ones made a louder 'pop'.
All units have between 8500-9500 pops on them.

Now the loaded question is:
Shall I send the two units in.......
I would be distraught to be on the job and have them not be reliable.
Thank you for your patience.

Top Top

#

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Site Admin

The way we test here is to have a light stand on the floor with a reflector at a set distance. Mark a spot on the wall and bore sight the light using the umbrella hole. Set each light to full power, and meter. Cycle through each light using the same procedures and the same reflector. The dome should not matter, but for the sake of consistency, you can remove them.

I have found even at 10' minor differences (2-3") in meter placement can impact the meter reading, 8.5' would be even more unforgiving. Using a reflector will minimize any bounce readings, and a stationary light stand will ensure all lights are at the same distance.

Without any data before the cold weather shoot, we really don't know if anything has changed. I seriously doubt that shoot harmed your lights, but we will never tell you you cannot send a unit in.

If you are really concerned about the lights, redo the test in a more controlled manner, and we will go from there.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]