Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ] 

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:10 am

In hopes of getting better use of the 50+ saved settings in the CC, I thought I'd start a new discussion.

At this point, I only have a couple settings that I have saved.

1. "turn-on" setting for Action
2. "turn-on" setting for Color
3. "turn-on" with modeling lights
4. "turn-on" without modeling lights (for using the E640's on battery)
5. "turn-off"

what else should I save in my CC? Or, any other clever uses of the CC?

I shoot advertising work so there are no consistent setups, everything changes, everyday. But there are probably more people that might watch this conversation that shoot portraits, or solely location work, all ideas and suggestions are welcome.

What settings have you saved?

TS? Luap? From your experience do you have any lists of most helpful CC saved settings that you could share?

or, beyond settings, any other CC features that you can't live without? Group setups?

thanks in advance.

j

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Site Admin

These are the primary set ups. However, if you often shoot with fewer lights, a set up with only the lights you use would be helpful. It is not particularly difficult to SPEC LIGHTS>NONE the lights not used, so it is really up to you.

I do not recommend using a set up with more lights than you are actually using, as it can cause difficulty in the ALL channel setting when trying to increase or decrease power.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:32 pm

>I do not recommend using a set up with more lights than you are actually using, as it can cause difficulty in the ALL channel setting when trying to increase or decrease power.

That's a great tip. If you think of other tips like that please post.

Is it possible to program/firmware a default "turn everything off" function in CC?

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Site Admin

J_ph wrote:
Is it possible to program/firmware a default "turn everything off" function in CC?

I am not sure exactly what you mean. This can be done in the Light settings screen.

Or, if you just need a quick removal of the lights, and whether or not they are "OFF" is irrelevant so long as they do not fire, you can switch to a group (just past ALL to the left) that contains no lights.

If you mean a way to switch everything off from the main screen, this is not currently programmable with the current firmware. It may or may not be doable in a firmware change, but making it too easy to turn everything off may lead to more frustrations.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Quote:
"This can be done in the Light settings screen. "

This is how I have set it up.

Quote:
Or, if you just need a quick removal of the lights, and whether or not they are "OFF" is irrelevant so long as they do not fire, you can switch to a group (just past ALL to the left) that contains no light

When I do this the display remains on for the E640's. The light settings only allow me to set On or Standby (with display off), what mode would this be if the back display is on and how does this differ from Standby?

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Site Admin

Excluding a light (or multiple from a group prevents the light from firing, but keeps it in an otherwise ready state (i.e. booted with the caps charged to the level desired). This allows the light to be ready instantly when included with the firing lights.

This is opposed to "Standby" which is essentially off. The light would have to charge and boot up before it was ready to fire.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

thanks.

Quote:
I am not sure exactly what you mean.

sorry, I didn't respond to this earlier in regards to the global "off" button.

I was just hoping for a simpler UI to turn off lights. Currently, you need to change to the Setup screen, toggle to Open Memory and locate the settings number. I know it's a whopping 3 steps and I shouldn't complain, I guess I've been spoiled by a light switch :idea:

regards

j

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Site Admin

You can also use a power strip to kill all lights as well. When you come back, power on the strip, and up on the right joystick to refresh.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Quote:
You can also use a power strip to kill all lights as well. When you come back, power on the strip, and up on the right joystick to refresh.

3 power strips in different areas of the studio, so that actually makes the CC the winner :lol:

With power packs I generally ran multiple heads from a single outlet, but the E640's seem to be easier to run from different feeds.

Top Top

#

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:35 pm

J_ph wrote:
In hopes of getting better use of the 50+ saved settings in the CC, I thought I'd start a new discussion.

At this point, I only have a couple settings that I have saved.

1. "turn-on" setting for Action
2. "turn-on" setting for Color
3. "turn-on" with modeling lights
4. "turn-on" without modeling lights (for using the E640's on battery)
5. "turn-off"

what else should I save in my CC? Or, any other clever uses of the CC?

I shoot advertising work so there are no consistent setups, everything changes, everyday. But there are probably more people that might watch this conversation that shoot portraits, or solely location work, all ideas and suggestions are welcome.

What settings have you saved?

TS? Luap? From your experience do you have any lists of most helpful CC saved settings that you could share?

or, beyond settings, any other CC features that you can't live without? Group setups?

thanks in advance.

j

Just been catching up on some reading here so my apologies for the late reply. I do have some "saves" to share. I have two X2400s and two Einsteins and here is how I have them set up in four different saves. Mind you, these are just starting points as I do not have a permanent studio and do only location photography.

SD1-
Ch1-X2400-FULL(1000WS)-MainLeft>>>Push Blue Button to FULL!
Ch2-X2400-FULL(1000WS)-MainRight>>>Push Blue Button to FULL!
Ch3-Einstein-640WS/ModelLamp-153W
Ch4-Einstein-640WS/ModelLamp-153W

SD2-
Ch1-X2400-1/4(250WS)-MainLeft>>>Push Blue Button to 1/4!
Ch2-X2400-1/4(250WS)-MainRight>>>Push Blue Button to 1/4!
Ch3-Einstein-259.9WS/ModelLamp-62.5W
Ch4-Einstein-259.9WS/ModelLamp-62.5W

SD3-
Ch1-X2400-FULL(1000WS)-MainLeft>>>Push Blue Button to FULL!
Ch2-X2400-1/4(250WS)-FillRight>>>Push Blue Button to 1/4!

SD4-
Ch1-X2400-1/4(250WS)-FillLeft>>>Push Blue Button to 1/4!
Ch2-X2400-FULL(1000WS)-MainRight>>>Push Blue Button to FULL!

Model lamps on Einsteins adjusted to match ratio of X2400 model lamps.
The Einsteins have no defined positions and are used as backdrop or hair lights when needed.

Lately I find that I have been turning off the model lamps on all lights so this will be my new "saved Setups"

RMS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 10 posts ]