Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:05 am

I just received my first order of PCB products last week and so far have been very impressed. I got myself an Einstein, CST, CSRB, CSXCV, and some other accessories.

My first run with the equipment went great. I used the CSXCV on my Einstein and my Nikon SB-24 on the CSRB using the PC terminal to 1/8" cord. Both flash went off without a hitch and I was very excited with the results. After my session, I took the batteries out of the CSRB.

The next day I wanted to try out other settings so I left my CSRB alone and just shot with my Einstein and the CSXCV. Then when I wanted to add in my SB-24, I noticed my CST could not trigger the flash. After hooking up the sb, I was able to trigger the flash using the Test button on the CSRB but not with the CST's test button. I tried different frequencies (after pressing the test button 3 times to reset the frequency) but that still did not work. I then tried using the CSRB on my Einstein but that resulted in the same outcome.

I've changed the batteries on the CSRB to check if maybe the batteries that shipped with it died during my first use but that did not help. I've tried to search the forum for any similar problems but could not find a solution that could help with my problem.

Can someone help? Or should I just send the unit back to be fixed?

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:21 pm

Site Admin

Are you getting a green blinking LED on the CSRB? If not, press the test button once. If still not, ensure the batteries are installed with the proper orientation.

Is the flash firing from its own test button?

If you do get the green blinking LED and the flash fires from its own test button, press the test button of the CSRB, does the flash fire?

If you press the test button of the CST, look at the LED of the CSRB and see if it blinks red in response.

Ensure the dials match. The frequency selector is a dial with a notch cut through it. On one end of the notch, the cut is deeper and appears darker. This is the indicator. Odd frequencies are listed, even frequencies are unlisted between.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:23 pm

When I install the battery, the CSRB blinks green very briefly then has a couple of quick red pulses. When I press the test button to fire off the flash, the light seems to have a delay or does not flash at all on the CSRB. I checked to make sure the batteries were installed correctly.

My SB24 does fire normally on its own test button. One odd thing I've noticed was that when the CSRB is connected to the SB, I am unable to change any modes on my SB. Its almost like its stuck. When I remove the connection to the CSRB, I am able to change the settings normally.

When I press the test button on the CST, I do not receive a red light on the CSRB. Same goes when the CSRB is not connected to any flash. This was not a problem the first time I tried it out, but after that first time, it has not done so.

Frequency was also verified and I also tried several other frequencies but none worked.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:44 am

Site Admin

With the batteries installed, place your thumb over the button of the CSRB to hold it still. Shake the receiver and listen for a rattle. If you hear a rattle, the battery terminals may be bent out of shape, losing contact. These can easily be reshaped by prying out on them gently.

One last thing you can try would be to change frequencies, then install the batteries and see if the LED blinks green then red. If it does, and you are sure the batteries are good, then there is something amiss in the receiver. Customer Service will be able to tell you how to best resolve this under warranty.

Something to note is the LED blinks when you release the button, not when you press it. This could explain the delay.

Multiple red LED blinks are indicative of a bad battery (on the CSRB, CSRB+, and CST). So be sure your batteries are fresh.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]