Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 13 posts ] 

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Sorry for the newbie question, but I have never used a light meter before. I looked at some youtube videos and believe I am doing it correctly.. but not positive.

Purchased the CC and a couple CSRB+'s a few days ago for use with my Canon speedlights for the time being (plan on upgrading to the Einstein’s later this year). The CC triggers the flashes every time but I cannot seem to figure out the light meter part.

Here’s what I am doing:
1 – I set the shutter speed and ISO to match my camera in the ‘flashmeter’ menu.
2 – Go back to FLASH screen and select the channel my flash is on, point the dome toward the flash then press the right button to meter.
3 – My flash fires and I get a number at the top. It is 99% of the time either f16’1 or <1.0 no matter what power setting I have my flash on (full power to 1/128th power). The number will sometimes change back and forth if I hit the button a few times with no changes in flash power or position.

(I have also tried having both flashes firing at the meter still does the same as above)

Am I doing something wrong? Missing some concept? Or is it possible my CC might have an issue? Sorry to the basic question, but something doesn’t seem right, and I am not sure if it’s just me.

I also seem to have a small spot of glue and some other spot on the back side of the protective screen, is there a way to pop the plastic screen off to clean them off or should I send it back for a replacement for the meter and screen issues?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the questions,
Brandon

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:16 am

Site Admin

There seems to be something amiss in that commander. It should change as you change power (assuming distance, position and modifiers stay the same). Before you send that one back, however, contact customer service to make the arrangements.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 am

Excellent, thank you. At least I know I am not completely crazy (partially is fine with me :))!

I'll give a call if I get out of work early enough today. Need to order a couple more things anyhow.

Thanks again!
Brandon.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Got in touch with tech support tonight, awesome customer service.

The tech ran through a few things and then he decided to personally check a new one out and send it to me. Told me to send my current one back after I get the new one with the pre-paid label. It's awesome I won't be without a trigger at all.

Thanks again! All the great stuff I heard about the customer service was absolutely correct!

Brandon.

Top Top

#

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:01 am

Quote:
3 – My flash fires and I get a number at the top. It is 99% of the time either f16’1 or <1.0 no matter what power setting I have my flash on (full power to 1/128th power). The number will sometimes change back and forth if I hit the button a few times with no changes in flash power or position.

Did the tech have you make sure of the settings on the flash--that the flash was set to manual? That really sound to me like the CC may be sometimes reading the pre-flash.

Top Top

#

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:55 pm

I don't remember if we specifically checked that, he was on the phone with me for a while trying a bunch of different things. It was on manual since I pretty much always (90%) use it that way, and we did change settings on the three flashes and the CC itself quite a few times. We also made sure the flashes were fully charged before each pop.

I keep playing with the meter to see if I can get it to change.. nothing. The trigger part is working awesome tho.. not a single misfire.

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 am

I'd put money on it that it's some kind of pre-flash issue.

But not a lot of money as I'm cheap. :P

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:14 am

Site Admin

I dont know that the light preflashes, as the only contact is the center and side rail (positive and negative). The other contacts would not get any input to activate the preflash. I may be wrong, though in my observations this is the case.

However, one setting that could be an issue, is make sure you do not have the light set to any master/slave setting. This can cause things to run afoul.

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:30 pm

Wanted to post a follow-up. Received my replacement CC today and promptly tested it out hoping that it wasn't user error (went through a few things with Joe in tech so I was figuring it wasn't). After matching setting between both old and new, the new one works perfectly. Triggers great and the meter reading changes as it should with flash power changes and such. The old one still reads f16.0 or <1 ... nothing else. So the old one had a faulty meter ... problem solved.

New problem is the new CC squeals pretty loudly when the display is on. I saw another post here with the same issue (he also experienced fast battery drain... haven't had mine long enough to notice that), and he had to raise the brightness above 40% for it to go away. Mine is exactly the same, raise the brightness above 38% and quiet as can be, anything lower it squeals. Guess another call to customer service? or is this somewhat normal? I hate to be 'one of those people' but I also don't want the CC to crap out down the road and have to buy another one because something burnt out.

Brandon

Top Top

#

Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

My CC display is set at the default 20% and it is as quiet as a mouse.

RMS

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 13 posts ]