Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 58 posts ] 

Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:07 am

Site Admin

TimHenrion wrote:
+1 on the color being a sales killer.

I've got 3 VML batteries nearing end of life. Initially it looked like a good time to upgrade my VMLs to VMX's. Unfortunately that color scheme is simply horrible. Horrible as in "deal killer" horrible.

OK - all you guys that don't have black smart phones and black Macs have to exchange them for black or you won't be cool :roll:

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:43 pm

Regarding the VMLs... any plans to eventually upgrade the battery to LiFePO4?

For some background, I bought a couple VMLs along with a couple extra batteries, in part due to the hassle and extra cost of having them shipped to Canada. But now to realize that they may only last a few years is a bit of a disappointment, as they're not something I use all the time, but rather are intended for those on-location situations where it's difficult to find electrical outlets. Essentially more for backup than regular use. Seems LiFePO4 would be better suited to this.

That said, I still really like the VMLs, especially for the size and power (can run my Quadras for hours on end connected via the charger - significantly outlasting the SLAs if they were used on their own).

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:54 pm

I thought that the colors were to show the parts of the VLX, too. I cringe at the thought of the comments that I would get when shooting on location with it.

I can only hope that there might be an all black option as I'm definitely interested in getting one.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:20 pm

I like the color... I'll never lose it. Just like my bright orange tape measure. :ugeek:

Is it possible to pre-order?

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Site Admin

rscheffler wrote:
Regarding the VMLs... any plans to eventually upgrade the battery to LiFePO4?

For some background, I bought a couple VMLs along with a couple extra batteries, in part due to the hassle and extra cost of having them shipped to Canada. But now to realize that they may only last a few years is a bit of a disappointment, as they're not something I use all the time, but rather are intended for those on-location situations where it's difficult to find electrical outlets. Essentially more for backup than regular use. Seems LiFePO4 would be better suited to this.

That said, I still really like the VMLs, especially for the size and power (can run my Quadras for hours on end connected via the charger - significantly outlasting the SLAs if they were used on their own).

LiFePO4 batteries have somewhat less power density and more expensive than the NMC batteries used in VML (as well as laptops, cell phones, cameras, etc.)

This means a complete redesign of the VML would be required in order to achieve the same performance as the present VML. And it would be larger, heavier and cost more. So it's more likely this might occur in a future product. Development of a product typically takes a year or more.

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm getting at is a LiFePO4 option in addition to the current battery type, for those of us willing to give up some performance in exchange for longer shelf life. As it is now, the VML last a really long time on a single battery for how I use it. I would probably be willing to give up some of that, as well as recycle time, in exchange for longer service life in the current package size.

But that's just me. I'm sure you also have to consider many factors in order to determine whether it's worthwhile to provide such an option, at least for the current VML.

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:57 pm

How about a black, form-fitting Neoprene wetsuit for the VLX? With two metal strap loops, of course. If not, Krylon Fusion is available in black ;)

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:23 pm

Site Admin

rscheffler wrote:
Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm getting at is a LiFePO4 option in addition to the current battery type, for those of us willing to give up some performance in exchange for longer shelf life. As it is now, the VML last a really long time on a single battery for how I use it. I would probably be willing to give up some of that, as well as recycle time, in exchange for longer service life in the current package size.

But that's just me. I'm sure you also have to consider many factors in order to determine whether it's worthwhile to provide such an option, at least for the current VML.

An intelligent suggestion. There are some issues though - LiFePo4 batteries produce a lower cell voltage and would require significant redesign work.

I'll toss it around in my mind. Thanx.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Definitely want one. Or two. Can you let me know as soon as they are available as I have a couple of projects that could use them that I am working on?

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:08 pm

Site Admin

hipstar wrote:
Definitely want one. Or two. Can you let me know as soon as they are available as I have a couple of projects that could use them that I am working on?

Keep an eye on the website. We expect it to be up for ordering in the next day or two (shipping may not be immediate, however).

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 58 posts ]