Site Admin

http://www.paulcbuff.com/vlx.php

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am

Luap wrote:
TimHenrion wrote:
+1 on the color being a sales killer.

I've got 3 VML batteries nearing end of life. Initially it looked like a good time to upgrade my VMLs to VMX's. Unfortunately that color scheme is simply horrible. Horrible as in "deal killer" horrible.

OK - all you guys that don't have black smart phones and black Macs have to exchange them for black or you won't be cool :roll:

Paul, with all due respect you won't find iPhones or Macs in either of the two colors that you selected to make the VLX in. Color is like sound: everyone has an opinion, positive or negative. Black, white, and gray are "neutral" colors are used by companies like Apple for a reason: they reduce the ability of people to make chroma-based 'judgements' of like/dislike and work well for professional equipment. In other words: they don't diminish sales.

I understand that Buff wants to be 'different' and project that as part of their image. However, someone else's "different" isn't necessarily good for me and/or the image I present to people I work for/with. Pretty much every piece of Buff equipment I've purchased over the last god-knows-how-many-years has been available in black as the primary color and later you offer other colors for people who want them. Why not do that with the VLX?

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Site Admin

First, I didn't say iPhones are made in the exact two colors I chose for VLX. But they are made in a whole slew of colors.

Also, I have a Steve Jobs designed Transparent Raspberry iMac from the late 90s sitting on my shelf at home - they sold well and were not made in black – only Raspberry as I recall.

Oh, and I have a transparent, light purple Elinchrom RX600 at home too, as do many pros. That was the only color it came in for many years, and it was probably the most popular non-BUFF pro flash for a very long time.

Lastly, AB didn't start out in black only. From day one they were sold in glossy Black, Neon Pink, Neon Green, and Bright yellow. While black is the highest selling single color, the various non-black colors make up the slight majority of AB sales – around 13,000 of 25,000+ per year.

As for the Purple Haze and Navajo Turquoise colors I chose for the VLX™, as well as for the latest Limited edition ABs, are basic Southwestern colors, relatively muted and textured rather than than the initial AB glossy neon colors.

But hey, if the colors turn some off, or somehow embarrass them, I suppose they won't buy them. There are several battery systems available in black, but of course they don't come close to the VLX™ performance or weight, and cost up to five times as much.

If you want a performance comparison to any others, I'll share the very detailed comparison data I have collected.

VLX™ and Omni™ are up on our shopping cart as of this morning, and orders look pretty good. They are scheduled to ship sometime next week. :D

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi,

I want to add my plea for a subdued color option. I'm just starting to learn strobe lighting in a class at a junior college and our instructor recommended your products. They look like great products and great value, but I'm distressed that you appear willing to write off people like myself who just can't be comfortable with bright colors. Please consider offering the VLX in a black or gray or something subdued that would match the Einstein.

Thanks,
John

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi again,

I just thought of an alternative but have to ask about it. Would spray painting the VLX have any affect on the warranty?

John

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Site Admin

Technically, painting a VLX™ would affect the warranty. But if you feel like painting a VML™ be my guest. But remember, there are airflow louvers that could allow spray paint to reach the electronics components. If that caused failure or internal damage we would have a warranty issue.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Site Admin

I feel it necessary to remind everyone here that this is a TECHNICAL FORUM and its purpose is for the exchange of TECHNICAL INFORMATION. We try to not be hard ass about the rules like other forums do, but there are limits. So far, members have been polite, and we hope to keep it that way.

Using it as a complaint forum about aesthetics and other non-technical issues is not allowed under the forum rules, and can easily get out of control.

We had to eventually shut down our previous forum http://www.paulcbuff.com/forums/ because it got out of control with bitching and insulting, etc.

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Would a neoprene sleeve cause any potential damage to the VLX?

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 am

Site Admin

Kenneth.Rhem wrote:
Would a neoprene sleeve cause any potential damage to the VLX?

It would likely impede airflow, and therefore would be damaging.

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi!
Are you planning to release an european version soon ? With 230V and AC european style ?
I guess the units is calibrated for 120V and US specs with no way to change those settings ?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 58 posts ]