Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 58 posts ] 

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Wow, what a sales-killing color that is!

Top Top

#

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:26 pm

I was rather excited about this until the disclosure that the only color is teal/purple. I initially thought that was a conceptual rendering to show the battery and inverter as separate items. Then I thought maybe it was a belated April Fools joke.

Now it seems if you want this battery pack, you'll have to come to terms with mounting the equivalent of a 1980's wind breaker on your light stand.

:/ Sigh.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:07 am

It doesn't matter what color it is, Black gaffers tape solves everything. :)

I'm so ready to order one!

I have a Profoto Batpack. It's great and all and I can barely tell the difference between plugging my profotos into it and the wall. But the weight is taking years out of me. I'm ready for the VLX!

Having D rings to hook straps would be nice and I hope that clamp is a lot better than the p.o.s. plastic clamp that was on the VLM. That plastic would just slide right down the lightstand. :(

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:43 am

Hi Paul,

I'm big fan of the VMLs. I have 3. The biggest weakness is the clamp design (I've has 2 of three cases crack near the mount) so I purchased the third party holders at a very high cost. So, I'm glad to see the new device has a better mount clamp.

That said; I just travelled internationally and the WH limit was 160. I don't suppose you will release a slightly lower WH battery option?

(also the color really is toy-like).

I say this all with a lot of love because I really like the devices so far.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:08 am

+1 on the color being a sales killer.

I've got 3 VML batteries nearing end of life. Initially it looked like a good time to upgrade my VMLs to VMX's. Unfortunately that color scheme is simply horrible. Horrible as in "deal killer" horrible.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:19 am

One additional design request for the next iteration/generation of "V" battery packs: Please recess the power switch or have a cover over it to prevent accidental "switch on" during transit.

Right now when I load 3 VMLs into a Tenba road case I have to put a styrofoam insert between the battery and the inverter that keeps the batteries electrically disconnected from the inverter, should the power switch accidentally get flipped "on" in transit.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Site Admin

The VLX™ has a protective surround protecting the switch from accidental operation.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Dave Jr wrote:

Why not throw the case in or half price just to start out, to really sell the new unit?

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Dave Jr wrote:

Sticking my tongue in my cheek :mrgreen: I'll speculate that it's a clever ploy to stretch out the initial rush of orders so that the VLX doesn't have backorder problems. The people who don't care about the color will order at once, and the people who are put off by the color will put off their orders until they decide that they really want it anyway.

Besides, it is a Luap C. Ffub tradition to put out products that look a little funky, when the funkiness doesn't interfere with function. It's his way of saying "Hey, we're not overcharging you for the sake of snob appeal."

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Site Admin

peteh wrote:
Dave Jr wrote:

Why not throw the case in or half price just to start out, to really sell the new unit?

Photogenic ION is a poor performing copy of our VML . . . you know, the one I designed and manufacture that sells in the tens of thousands. Yet the ION costs the same to manufacture but sells for 60% more.

So you might ponder what our profit margins are. Aren't our prices low enough already? We really try.

So, unfortunately, we can't be giving discounts and free bags and stuff unless we jack up our prices like everyone else, then tell customers we'll give them free stuff and discounts and all that.

Don't mean to sound aggressive here . . . just saying :roll:

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 58 posts ]