Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ] 

Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:18 pm

What is the storage depth of this reflector? I currently use the 11" long throws, which are quite difficult to transport, even when stacked. This one looks much shallower and despite the much larger diameter might be easier to store due to the shorter depth. I'm shopping for a new transport box now, so I might hold off in hopes of trying these new reflectors.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 am

Hello Luap,
The diffuser on the PLM is wonderful, will it be the same material for this Omni diffuser?

Having a diffuser of that material that could be used on the 7 inch reflectors through 11 inch as well would be nice. Often I could have used such a diffuser on those reflectors.

Cordially,

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:56 am

Site Admin

Omni diffuser is the same material, but three layers instead of one. This makes the face illumination extremely even to make catch lights free of dark or light areas. It also reduces the light output an additional 2/3 f to allow closer placement for low depth of field. Often, with close lighting, flash units can produce too much power even at their lowest power settings. See photos here:

http://www.paulcbuff.com/images/ads/omni_flyer.jpg (click to enlarge).

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:13 pm

Site Admin

BillF wrote:
I have the 22 inch white beauty dish and the carry bag (HOBD-BAG). I'm sure I'll order an OMNI.

Since the OMNI is a little smaller in diameter, would it fit in the bag along with the beauty dish? I'm sure I would need something between them to protect the interior of the beauty dish.

Thanks!
Bill

No, you cannot stack an 18" omni and an HOBD in the same 22" HOBD BAG.

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Site Admin

DerbyShooter wrote:
What is the storage depth of this reflector? I currently use the 11" long throws, which are quite difficult to transport, even when stacked. This one looks much shallower and despite the much larger diameter might be easier to store due to the shorter depth. I'm shopping for a new transport box now, so I might hold off in hopes of trying these new reflectors.

The product depth is right at 8".

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Luap wrote:
Omni diffuser is the same material, but three layers instead of one. This makes the face illumination extremely even to make catch lights free of dark or light areas. It also reduces the light output an additional 2/3 f to allow closer placement for low depth of field. Often, with close lighting, flash units can produce too much power even at their lowest power settings. See photos here:

Luap wrote:

Hello Luap,
Thank you for that information. Look forward to the in field in studio reviews.

A diffuser of that material with a draw string in a size that could be used on 7"-11" reflector would be nice. Multiple lights means multiple diffusers, thus multiple sales. Just a thought.

Cordially,

Top Top

#

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:19 pm

Site Admin

RicD wrote:
Luap wrote:

Luap wrote:

Hello Luap,
Thank you for that information. Look forward to the in field in studio reviews.

A diffuser of that material with a draw string in a size that could be used on 7"-11" reflector would be nice. Multiple lights means multiple diffusers, thus multiple sales. Just a thought.

Cordially,

Not a bad idea at all - I'll work on it.

By the way, the Omni's 3 layer diffuser will fit on the 22HOBD and will be sold separately. The Omni and the VLX should both be on our shopping cart and ready to order by the end of the week.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Luap,
Thank you, I am please you see merit with my suggestion. Looking forward to the possibility of the diffusers for the reflectors; I can use three.

Cordially,

RicD

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Does the new 18" Omni reflector fit in the carry bag (HOBD-BAG)?

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Site Admin

Yes, by itself. I have not tried loading it with grids yet, as those are still work in progress.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ]