Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ] 

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Thanks!!!

Technical Support wrote:
Yes, by itself. I have not tried loading it with grids yet, as those are still work in progress.

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Hows those shipments of the new products coming along?

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:19 pm

I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of these!

Top Top

Website

#

Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Site Admin

wkilburg wrote:
Hows those shipments of the new products coming along?

The Omni and VLX are shipping.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:05 pm

Any word on the Strobist review of the "Omni"? or any other review of it coming up.

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:44 am

Site Admin

David Hobby had planned a review, then got called out on an important job and had to postpone. Interesting thing about David . . . he insists on buying anything he reviews and won't accept freebies from anyone. What great ethics.

We've sold a bunch of Omni systems this past week, and shipped quite few already, so independent reviews should start showing up soon.

A lot of VLX™ orders came in too and will be shipping early next week.

Top Top

#

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:47 am

Had an order in for the Omni but had an unexpected expenses so I have to take care of that first, but when I'm able I will order mine asap! I have some ideas for it.

Glad to see some new products from you
knowing you going to produce something worth taking note.

Top Top

#

Sat May 03, 2014 7:53 am

I have not had time to use the new Omni much. I hoped to try it last weekend in conjunction with a bicycle race I was shooting but the Omni showed up a day after I got back. Since then the studio, and work, has been quiet but I did set up some time to have a few models stop by next week. I hope to really put it to work then.
I have hooked it up to an Einstein and tried it with my mannequin head I use for tests and classes. At like half power on the Einstein I was at f/18 and the light while directional was not really harsh. Almost silver beauty dish like. Specular but not harsh. At around 8 ft away. I put the 3 layer diffuser on and my sekonic said f/6.3 and I got a look similar to a 3' octa, like my elinchrom deep octa with the deflector plate in it. I moved it in close and got a decent wrap of light on Creepy Bob the mannequin. Sorry I don't have better documentation but I was in a hurry and just wanted to try it. I'll have more time later. I am interested in drilling a hole in the Omni to try those elinchrom deflectors and wonder if the team there tried anything like this during development?
I love the weight, it seems it will withstand a decent breeze, and I'm looking forward to playing with it outside. I'm probably going to just buy another Einstein and funky colored VLX to use with the Omni. My studio Einstein is more or less permanently mounted to a 79" grand softbox. It's like made for it.

Last edited by wkilburg on Sun May 04, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Website

#

Sat May 03, 2014 7:59 am

Luap wrote:
David Hobby had planned a review, then got called out on an important job and had to postpone. Interesting thing about David . . . he insists on buying anything he reviews and won't accept freebies from anyone. What great ethics.

We've sold a bunch of Omni systems this past week, and shipped quite few already, so independent reviews should start showing up soon.

A lot of VLX™ orders came in too and will be shipping early next week.

I think it speaks well of the Strobist to pay his own way. No one offers me anything free but that's ok, I'd rather pay for my stuff too.

WK

Top Top

Website

#

Tue May 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Can I use the Omni to light a group of 10 outdoors even? with the sock or without? How many feet away? I know it has a 30 degree throw with the sock 120 degree but can I get about f16 with the sock? using an einstein.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ]