Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ] 

Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:57 pm

Site Admin

The BUFF OMNI system ($79.95 including 3 layer accessory diffuser sock - shipping about April 20) is a unique multipurpose 18" diameter reflector system for all BUFF lights – Einstein™, AlienBees™, White Lighting Ultra™ and WLX™, Zap™ and Zeus™

In its raw form, OMNI is a superior long throw reflector that produces an extremely even and powerful 30° pattern producing f32+ @ 10', ISO100 at 640WS for overpowering or augmenting the sun at working distances up to 20' or more, eliminating the "Light in your face" look often necessitated with softboxes and umbrellas, while providing a natural blending of ambient and flash.

For arena basketball and other sports, working distances beyond 60' are practical.

OMNI is designed, unlike most reflectors, such that the rays converge very evenly across the face of the reflector. Thus when the included 3 layer diffusion sock is attached, the result is a perfectly round "softbox" with absolutely even illumination across the face (+/- 1/4 f stop). This is important for achieving beautiful catchlights without hot spots and anomalies in the eyes and on silver and glassware, autos, etc.

The triple diffusion sock spreads the coverage out to a very wide and even 120° circle, and also reduces the output more than a single diffuser so that very close subject placement can be used for moody low key lighting at shallow depth of field.

This configuration will likely be your go-to modifier for most studio lighting from groups to head shots, high key or low key and product shots. Many pros consider the 18" size ideal for specularity control and pop, without the sometimes mushy overly soft effect of softboxes or the hard shadows of smaller reflectors.

Finally, an optional 20° honeycomb grid ($79.95 - estimated ETA May availability) can be used on top of the diffuser, or without the diffuser, for Hollywood lighting and for selective and dramatic moody low key shots.

More info and pictures will be published here and at http://www.PaulCBuff.com soon.

Questions?
Attachment:
OMNIpromoflyer.jpg

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

I look forward to the more info and photos

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:24 pm

Sounds interesting... :D

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:22 pm

So would you say this could replace the beauty dish?

Top Top

#

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:00 pm

Site Admin

Certainly it could replace a beauty dish when the diffuser is employed. Without the diffuser you would get so much light it would be difficult to impossible to use it close enough for the typical beauty dish distances.

Personally, I would prefer it to a beauty dish because of the extremely even surface illumination and controllable falloff. With the grid, you can really feather or angle it nicely, plus the grid over the diffuser reduces the output about another 6/10 f stop. A very common problem with most beauty dishes and close-in softboxes is reducing the light enough to use wide apertures - even with AB400 at minimum power.

But there is one camp of shooters who prefer the big "hole in the middle" of standard beauty dishes and the uneven surface intensity. To each his own, but I prefer the perfect catchlights of the OMNI and it's silky smooth falloff. With the grid, one can really control falloff and spill.

I have the feeling that some famous photographer stated a straight beauty dish gives a special look that can't be duplicated or improved on, and a lot people said "if so and so says so, it must be true."

My stick is that truly creative shooters seek fresh new methods and results. Some like Picasso and some like Kincade ;)

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 am

When can I preorder? Credit card is just waiting to be swiped...

Top Top

#

Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:43 pm

fredr500 wrote:
When can I preorder? Credit card is just waiting to be swiped...

Likewise!

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Site Admin

Attachment:
OMNIpromoflyer.jpg

Ad copy with pix also appears at the top of the thread.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:59 am

Luap do you plan on posting a photo of a human shot with this? would love to see it.
hope you will have a lot ready to roll out. really interested to see how it looks compared
to a beauty dish. the catch lights in the eyes, fall off and overpowering the sun look as well.

I have the 8.5 reflector which is very nice on males I shot.

Top Top

#

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:56 pm

Site Admin

We're not real good at having models, makeup and taking these kind of pictures. Better for us to give out a couple of these to expert photographers in exchange for use of their photos and opinions. This stuff takes a lot of time and effort as I'm sure you know.

It's crazy here . . . we have 100's of products, 55 people and ship and receive about 1000 packages a day.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ]