Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ] 

Tue May 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Site Admin

Without the sock, you would have to place the light about 20' from the group to cover a 12' circle. That should get you right at f16 with 640Ws and 100ISO.

With the diffuser, you would get f11 at 10' with plenty of coverage. You could get f16 at 7' ISO100 and still cover the group but because of inverse square law you would have some falloff at the edges. This is because, unless the group is positioned in an arc, the edges will be further from the light than the center.

It's going to be touchy to get f16 evenly across the whole group with 640Ws with any flash and modifier unless you place the group tightly.

Two good options would be to use ISO200, or possibly an 86" PLM Soft Silver - but look out for wind!

Top Top

#

Tue May 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Site Admin

Regarding David Hobby and the VLX, I haven't heard back from him - hate to bug him, and nobody else has reviewed it. Sales are ramping up pretty well and a few customers have emailed us good reports. No complaints received.

Omnis are selling really well, but also, no reviews yet.

Top Top

#

Tue May 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Ten-4, sounds good. looking to put in an order very soon. Had a friend pick one up, hoping to test it out soon.

Top Top

#

Sun May 18, 2014 3:03 am

Hi,

I'm interested on getting the genius package as my first monolight kit. I'm new to photography and I want to start experimenting with light and various types of photography (including macro).

Would you recommend getting two omnis instead of the two PLM's bundled with the genius package?

I'm torn in the decision due to my lack of knowledge on light modifiers.

Any help truly appreciated.

Cheers

Top Top

#

Sun May 18, 2014 2:44 pm

Site Admin

First, all our packages are priced according to the same formula: Buy one light and get 5% off any accessories, two lights = 10% accessory discount, 3 lights = 15%, four lights or more = 20% accessory discount. Vagabonds are not considered as accessories. This info is detailed on our website. See http://www.paulcbuff.com/packages.php

So you can build any package you want and the shopping cart will calculate the same discount as you would get when ordering the same items as contained in a "kit" such as the Genius Kit or any other.

So, yes, you can individually put the items in the Genius Kit in your cart, with any changes you want, and the discounts will end up the same. As you change items, the cart will automatically calculate the discounts - before you commit and send the order.

As for your question regarding two Omnis instead of two PLMs, yes, you can easily do that. But my suggestion would be one PLM and one Omni. Also, if you buy lights and accessories and later decide you want another accessory(s) within 60 days, you can still get the discount on added accessories.

Were it me, I would choose the 64" PLM Soft Silver with 8mm shaft instead of the Extreme Silver with speedring mount. I think you'll find it more versatile, easier to use, and cheaper.

You will find having the two different types of modifiers more useful than having two of the same modifier type . . . each has it's best-use and you will likely end up using both together - say one for main light and one for fill light, etc.

Good luck - customer service is always there to help you. 1-800-443-5542 (US)

Top Top

#

Wed May 21, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Paul,
Would you mind posting a brief summary of the advantages/disadvantages of the Omni vs. the LTR (both without the diffusion sock)? The coverage angle is very similar, which makes me assume the main difference is the falloff pattern.

I'm looking for an "optimal" solution for lighting a fashion show runway from a distance. So we're talking about a 40ft runway with an Einstein positioned 25-30ft from the end of that runway on axis. My primary goals are:

1) Avoiding hotspots
2) Keeping the light pattern fairly rigid (i.e. I don't want to light the first row of seats on either side of the runway. More "dramatic" falloff is probably better than gradual.

Thanks,
Tim Henrion
Boston, MA

Top Top

#

Wed May 21, 2014 10:18 am

Site Admin

The runway is 40' long? How wide? At 30' back, the beam spread of each will be about 18' wide. For ultimate in sharp fall off, you would want a grid, which is currently unavailable for the Omni.

The 30 degree grid in the 11LTR will keep the same 18' wide beam, but sharply cut off the feathered light (It is pretty sharp fall off natively, but this will keep the edges well defined). A 15 degree grid will have a 9' wide beam with sharp edges.

Also remember, at the end of the runway vs the back, you will have more than a 2 stop difference in light.

Top Top

#

Wed May 21, 2014 7:04 pm

http://dropcanvas.com/wflru

Not sure if I link this right but here's a quick test I did with the Omni no sock. black form board.
think it was f8 w2.5 @ maybe 4feet.

Top Top

#

Wed May 21, 2014 7:20 pm

http://dropcanvas.com/r0npc

one more unedited with sock.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 49 posts ]