Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Tue May 20, 2014 2:28 pm

Hello all:
I am trying to determine why my flash will not activate.

I have a Canon Rebel XSI and an Alien Bee 400.

The Alien Bee flash is tethered to the camera by use of a hot shoe adapter.
The camera is tethered to the computer using a USB cable
The computer has the Eos utility for downloading the photos automatically to a hot folder on the computer.
A monitor is also attached - I want to be able to see the 8 second review on the monitor. To do this, the live view feature must be selected.

When the camera it is attached to the Alien Bee it will flash in all configurations except when the LIVE VIEW is selected on the camera (using the set button) regardless of whether it is tethered to the computer or not.

When the camera is set to live view and has an onboard speedlight it will flash tetherd and untetherd, with the EOS Utility connected.

Has anyone encountered this? I am shooting in blub mode, front curtain flash for a time lapse image. I would rather not use an onboard flash.

Top Top

#

Tue May 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Site Admin

This is a function inherent to the Rebel series cameras. It will not trigger any non dedicated device when in live view. An alternative would be to place the speedlite in the hotshoe, set speedlite to manual, dial to low power (only as high as needed), and rotate the speedlite away from the subject and toward the AlienBee. Disconnect the sync cord from the AlienBee and let it trigger from the optical slave.

Alternatively, you can use a radio remote dedicated to Canon cameras. This will fool the camera into thinking a Canon flash is on board.

One other possibility is to use a TTL pass through hot shoe adapter. Connect the sync cord (or basic radio remote) to this, and the flash atop the adapter (aimed away). You can dial the speedlite way down.

Top Top

#

Tue May 20, 2014 6:34 pm

Holy crap balls - I guess I am going to have to get my camera encyclopeia out. But thank you very much for the information. I tis very helpful to know the problem is a camera issue and not something I was missing. I am sure I will have more questions, but this is a great place to start.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]