Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Fri May 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Is it ok / safe to charge a VML up overnight before a shoot?

I know that NiMh batteries can be damaged being overcharged, but I am not sure about Lithium batteries. Does the VML charger have a built in "smart" cutoff so that I won't overcharge the battery if I leave it charged overnight?

~~~~

Also, while on the same subject, the best way to keep the VML battery for long term storage is charge it to about half full and every three months take it out and use it and then charge it again about half full, correct?

thanks in advance.

Top Top

#

Fri May 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Site Admin

Yes, you can charge VML overnight safely - it does have over charge protection. But it always wise to keep it away from flammable surfaces in case something should fail. Out of the 30,000+ VML™s we have shipped, we have seen about four incidents of overheating and even flaming during charging. This is usually due to trying to charge a battery that has been damaged, exposed to salt spray, or simply depleted.

As for storage, you don't need to use it and recharge it, though not a bad idea to make sure it's OK. The main concern is do not store it for months fully discharged. It's not nearly as critical in this regard as SLA batteries, but damage can eventually occur.

The manufacturer recommendations are for long term storage at 70% charge at room temperature. But if you're using it regularly - say once a week, storing at full charge is acceptable.

BTW, the same conditions apply to cell phone and laptop batteries, as they are the same design and chemistry. Our supplier is said to be the chief supplier to the Chinese Military and have an excellent reputation.

Safety and storage concerns are much fewer with the LiFePO4 batteries in the new VLX™.

Top Top

#

Fri May 23, 2014 5:25 pm

Thanks so much for the explanation. Really appreciated!!!

Have a good weekend.

Top Top

#

Tue May 27, 2014 1:11 pm

>The manufacturer recommendations are for long term storage at 70% charge at room temperature.

Is there a recommended method to discharge a VML, if I bring it back from a shoot with 100% charge.

What's the best and most convenient way to drop 30% off the charge. Would a modeling light be too much, or would that be the wrong type of drain?

thanks

j

Top Top

#

Tue May 27, 2014 2:24 pm

Site Admin

You can use a model lamp, but do not set one to full power. I would set it to 75W or so to prevent overheating the battery with the full 150W or 250W draw. If you run it for about 20 minutes or so at 75W, this would give you about 30% discharge.

Top Top

#

Tue May 27, 2014 2:43 pm

thank you.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]