Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 128 posts ] 

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:43 pm

I received my 64" white PLM already (in September). Do I need to get it replaced with the new-fabric version?

Top Top

Website

#

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 am

Site Admin

rgparker wrote:
Getting back to the original question posed by this thread: How are things on the PLM v2 production front? Is the rate accelerating?

R.

We made a change in the fabrics. Stuff is still coming in all the time, as fast as the vendor can make them.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:40 am

Site Admin

BDP wrote:
I received my 64" white PLM already (in September). Do I need to get it replaced with the new-fabric version?

Only if you find it to be problematic. We did not have many, if any, issues witht the 64 and 51 inch sizes. The larger size of the 86" enhanced any inconsistencies in hand assemblies, which then compounded the issues with fabric instability.

Top Top

#

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Update?

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:54 am

Site Admin

We made a change in the fabrics. Stuff is still coming in all the time, as fast as the vendor can make them.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 am

I was told Friday that my V2 86 white should get shipped to me by this Friday; I've been on the waiting list since about the day V1 went on backorder several months ago.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 am

Mine just shipped. Delivery today or tomorrow. Ordered it in January, I think.

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:41 am

I finally got my 86" PLM v2! It's very nice and focuses the light much more than I thought it would, even at relatively short distances. With my silver version, the light is very specular, at least in the few test shots I have taken. I also ordered a 61 but it's not here yet. It's silver also, and I am thinking about changing it to a white.

The question I have is what happens if you stand in front of the 86 to shoot? I am thinking I need to stand to the side to get the full effect since the light is pretty focused.

Robert

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:55 pm

When you say it focuses the light, does that mean it spotlights, or has a hot spot?

When you say the light is specular, does that mean the silver PLM is very reflective?

If you stand in front of it to shoot, you'll likely create a dark portion on your subject. If you shoot from behind the PLM, obviously you will have to be off to the side a bit, but it should be very close to shooting from the center depending on the distance to your subject.

To say the light is focused would not be a good thing imo. If you look at the Rob Galbraith review, the PLMs look to be spreading the light really well.

Did you also buy the diffuser?

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:30 pm

I should have been more clear, there is very little spill so the light stays where you put it. It doesn't have a hot spot at all. The light is not as soft as you would expect from say, a softbox or shoot through. It has an edge or specularity that provides contrast, which I like.

There is one thing I would kind of wish for is a hole to shoot through when you are behind the 86 and you want it's light on axis. Sort of a giant ring light I guess. Could make for a nice effect!

I have limited room in my studio so shooting off to the side is sometimes difficult, no matter what size of modifier I use.

Robert

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 128 posts ]