Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 128 posts ] 

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 am

Site Admin

I believe the 400° domes are $12.95 or $14.95 . . . check with customer service. As for Einstein color consistency over time we don't expect any issue with this.

As for fluorescing nylon, we got shipped some of this a couple years back, as did other manufacturers, and have replaced it all.

As for mixing various diffusers and modifiers, you are bound to see some difference on the order of 200°K or so from almost any manufacturer or supplier. All the fabrics come from China, pretty much regardless of who you buy from. You should find our softboxes (most all softboxes for that matter) to be about 200°K warmer than raw reflectors or silver PLMs. Also, fabrics tend to yellow with age.

As for monolights, I have tested Profotos, Elinchroms and others and found they all shift color following the same color VS power curve of about 80°K per f stop of power change as AB or WL. Independent testers have noted the same results.

I've bought about every color meter made and none of them are reliable or consistently accurate, so I do all my color testing by shooting images in RAW. Minolta reads 500° warmer than Gossen or Sekonic and all vary a couple hundred degrees with brightness level and distance. They all show more color shift VS power adjustment than RAW results indicate . . . seems they overemphasize the near UV range that if highly affected both by monolight power settings and by fabrics. Not very mature science all the way around.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:21 pm

I ordered my 64" PLM's about 6 weeks ago and also purchased the white diffusion kit, black front spill kill kit and black outer covers for them. These were all shipped to me. Will these fit on the V2's?

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:49 am

Site Admin

yes, they will fit V2 PLM's

Top Top

#

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:19 am

Just wondering where we are with the V2?

Top Top

#

Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 am

Site Admin

V2s are coming in at about 100 per week. We got some white 51 and 64s Friday, silver 86s are coming late next week, front diffusers and black front spill kills are on the way. Check mid week for schedule if Customer Service is able to give it yet.

Top Top

#

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:21 am

Great, I see the web page has been updated, too.

I still can't quite picture how the PLM's will mount using the speedring thingie. Is the umbrella shaft removable or collapsible something? I don't see how it can be adjusted back and forth on the speedring mount if the shaft a fixed length.

Top Top

Website

#

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:49 pm

I am starting to get REAL excited here! Thanks for the update, Paul!

Top Top

#

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Site Admin

bobk wrote:
Great, I see the web page has been updated, too.

I still can't quite picture how the PLM's will mount using the speedring thingie. Is the umbrella shaft removable or collapsible something? I don't see how it can be adjusted back and forth on the speedring mount if the shaft a fixed length.

My ad girl, Nat, just worked up the manual and took some pictures, so this stuff will all be on our website very soon. Because of all the adjustability and mounting options PLM is a little more difficult to set up than a straight umbrella, but I think users will agree it well worth the effort. I'm actually most personally impressed with the 51" sliver. It's output is as high as the retro laser and it's easier to use . . . an awesome sports reflector as well as a very effective studio tool.

By the way, I just tested first samples of new Einstein front end/cam assembly and it does everything I expected. No more heat problems, more output, better grip and no screws in the way of anything.

Also, our engineering work is done on the power supply board rework to alleviate PW issues and 230V issues. We will be testing these next week.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:54 am

Luap wrote:
.....By the way, I just tested first samples of new Einstein front end/cam assembly and it does everything I expected. No more heat problems, more output, better grip and no screws in the way of anything.

Also, our engineering work is done on the power supply board rework to alleviate PW issues and 230V issues. We will be testing these next week.

Woo Hoo !!

Excellent news, thanks for the update, now we're all looking forward to the message.....

"Front end issues solved and now the power supply issues are confirmed as solved, full production starts tomorrow" :D !!

Cheers,

AB.

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Alphabug wrote:
Luap wrote:
.....By the way, I just tested first samples of new Einstein front end/cam assembly and it does everything I expected. No more heat problems, more output, better grip and no screws in the way of anything.

Woo Hoo !!

Excellent news, thanks for the update, now we're all looking forward to the message.....

"Front end issues solved and now the power supply issues are confirmed as solved, full production starts tomorrow" :D !!

Cheers,

AB.

This is great news! I have an event late in Sept where I'm going to need my PW working at max range. So far, I've lucked out where my Cyber Commander's range is just fine.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 128 posts ]