Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ] 

Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Recently I´ve bought 1 Einstein, 2 AB800, 1 CyberCommander, 1 CyberSync Trasceiver and 2 CyberSync Plus.
The Cyber Commander works great with Einstein. But, for both AB800 and its CyberSyncs Plus I am not able to fire the flashes (I can only control the power).
Frequency and channels are ok.
Does anyone can help me?

Regards,
Roger

Top Top

#

Wed May 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Site Admin

Are the phone cables 2 conductor or 4 conductor (they need to be 4 or 6 conductor cross over).

When you say you can control power, Are you just looking at the LCD screen, or can you tell the Alien Bee is actually reducing power?

Make sure all frequencies match, and each receiver is set to its own channel.

Top Top

#

Thu May 22, 2014 8:52 am

First of all, many thanks for your fast reply! :)

The phone cables are 4 conductors (both of them). I am using the new phone cables that came with the CSR+. The cables seems to be cross since the color order are inversed in the connectors.
When I say `I can control the power` I mean that AB800 is reducing the pilot light and also the flash power ok.
Some additional information:

- IMPORTANT1: when I first turn the flashes on, they start to fire (5 or 6 fires) them, they stop.
- IMPORTANT2: The Cyber Commander is able to fire the AB´s intermittently – every 10 times I press (slowly) the fire button it fires the flashes (Einstein does it immediately without miss any button pressed);
- The slave cell is off and the sync cord is connect to avoid the sensor actuation;
- The frequency is matching and the channels are different for each flash (but, I am testing them individually – just in case…);
- No only I am testing both AB800 individually but also I have tried to switch phone cables and CSR+ ;
- I am firing the flashes from Cyber Commander. As my gear is brand new, I toke them out of the box to test the basic functions – without using my camera;
- Einstein works great!;
- I have turned off all the internet wireless at my studio;
- I have replaced the batteries in CC;
- Both AB800 fire from CC when using the sync cord only (no phone cable).

To summarize, the problem is: FIRE THE AB800´s from Cyber Commander.
May I try to make/buy a new phone cable?

I understand that will be a very bad lucky to have the same problem in both NEW AB800/CSR+/Phone Cables. For this reason, I suspect I am doing something wrong. I appreciate any support from you as I live in a country that has no Paul Buff office (I´ve taken the risk of buy a no guaranty gear because of its good reputation, quality and the very `at hand` functions).

Thank you very much,
Roger

PS.: Does the TEST button in the CSR+ (no battery) works only to set the CSR+ as a repeater? Is there any other function for it?

Top Top

#

Thu May 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Site Admin

Ok, if you are not in the US, I assume you are in a 220/240V power supply area. Also, your description tells me there is an improper ground.

First, if you are using the Schucko (round bi-pin) plug, unplug it, and rotate it "upside down". And try again.

Keep in mind, you must have a grounded power supply for the CSR+ units to work correctly.

Top Top

#

Fri May 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Thank you so much for your support!

So far, I´ve tested one Ab800 and the ground was the problem. I use 127v and the ground pin wasn´t working. The CC can fire one AB800 just fine – I will test the other AB800 now.
You have no idea how happy I am now!!! Those flashes took a great amount of my budget.

Many thanks!
Roger

Top Top

#

Fri May 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Site Admin

I totally get what you're saying. Recently saw a national survey that showed the median pro photographer's income was a paltry $25k per year or so!! It shocked me.

Like any artistic field, there are of course some that make big bucks, but also many that make next to nothing. :roll:

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 6 posts ]