Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:42 am

Hi

I'm using 6 Einsteins, triggered with CST,
and my assistant or me use the CC to control the lights.

I need a FAST way to shut off a channel.

I read about the GROUPS option, but it's not practical for me, i every time want a different combination of light's on/off.
(I do use the groups for a different part of the wedding)

In the last few events i had my assistant run around unplugging flashes, but that's not very practical (takes time and the flashes don't turn back on automatically)

I'm actually thinking to do what i did with my old flashes -
use a radio trigger that has 4 individual groups that i can toggle on/off (phottix strato II).
[But that only gives control on 4 lights, and i prefer not mixing 2 radio systems...]

Any way to add this to the CC?
in the main screen the DOWN right button is currently available...

Thanks
Yitzy

Top Top

#

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:14 am

Site Admin

The problem with making it easy to turn off a light is that it may switched inadvertently.

Barring using groups, using the right joystick to the left will enter the Set Up screen directly. If the last menu used was Light Settings, you only have to press in with the right joystick. If the Power option was the last item used, then you select channel and select power.

The last two steps, selecting channel and power, would be required regardless of a quick set option. This leaves only two additional button actuations to turn power off, assuming the Light Settings and Power options were the last options used.

Top Top

#

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 am

Technical Support wrote:
The problem with making it easy to turn off a light is that it may switched inadvertently.

So how about making this option user selectable from the setup menu?
I'm sure i'm not the only one who is willing to take the "risk" of inadvertently switching off a channel
[Just like i don't inadvertently change a group or power]

Technical Support wrote:
Barring using groups, using the right joystick to the left will enter the Set Up screen directly. If the last menu used was Light Settings, you only have to press in with the right joystick. If the Power option was the last item used, then you select channel and select power.

The last two steps, selecting channel and power, would be required regardless of a quick set option. This leaves only two additional button actuations to turn power off, assuming the Light Settings and Power options were the last options used.

It sounds very easy and short 'on-paper'
But in the real world, this takes at-least double the time.
and my subjects loose there patience very fast when i fiddle to long with equipment.
(tensed brides and family's right before the wedding..

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:38 am

Site Admin

This idea has been suggested before and not being completely ignored. However, we have limited resources and adding a user defined option would then be a second additional function to add, and doing so is not inexpensive. Therefore, we have to prioritize projects we are undertaking.

Top Top

#

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:19 am

Easiest way I found is to buy an external Remote system that you use for a home outlet. (of course you have to carry and extra remote, but its fine to hang around your neck. I just ordered a new set (to allow 10 lights: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless ... 2GVAXKVQ47 ) I have one now that allows 3 lights. (I have it attached to a roll up power cord for 3 stations, allowing me to quickly go from a headshot sitting area to the cyc wall, to etc And what I do is have each station set up to a different group, so when I turn one station off, and turn on the next station I just use the CC and hit refresh to turn on the next group of lights). Best part is its dirt cheap!

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks Tech

Will gluing a cold-shoe on the side of the Einstein (for connecting another radio) Void the warranty?

Top Top

#

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:53 am

Site Admin

As long as glue does not get in the light, then no. Also, you could lose the shoe if the light has to be serviced for the housing.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]