Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:42 pm

I just acquired a White Lightning x800 and x1600 and looking to accessorize. I am trying to decide between the Octabox or the PLM Umbrella. I will be mainly using it for studio work of dogs and dogs with their humans. Originally, I was leaning towards the 35" Octabox and possibly getting a grid to go with it but wanted to ask for any opinions on the two. Thank you

Top Top

#

Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Site Admin

If you get a Soft Silver PLM with a white front diffusion fabric (WFDF), then that and the octabox are going to be very similar, with the PLM being more circular. The octabox can then be gridded for a tighter light pattern, but maintain a soft diffused light. The PLM cannot be gridded, but the WFDF can be removed for a tighter beam spread, but with more contrast and specular highlights.

I personally like the Soft Silver PLM due to its versatility, and the look the Soft Silver fabric gives.

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Thank you, Which size umbrella would you suggest for studio portraits and the on axis or umbrella mount? Most likely not in a big space

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Site Admin

64" soft silver 8mm shaft version. Very simple, very nice shadows, and just the right size for most work. Pair it with a white diffuser, and you have an exceptionally diverse modifier for different types fo looks.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]