Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 am

is it possible to configure so I can get the "in-between" iso and shutter speeds?

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 am

Site Admin

As of now, no. I am not sure if this will change in the future.

As you probably know, 1/3 stop increments are not typically critical in an indoor studio environment, though they can make a small difference outdoors.

1/3 stop ISO can be "hacked", if you will, By setting a full stop ISO and dialing in +/- .3f or .7f under the "CAL" option in the FLASHMETER screen.

This works for ISO, since ISO directly and equally affects ambient and flash exposure. Shutter speeds affect ambient differently than flash. Flash is largely unaffected by shutter speeds except when your exceed the x-sync speed of the camera, or unless the shutter is otherwise faster than the flash duration of the flash. This is most common at or near the x-sync shutter speed of the camera, but on some really slow flashes, this can be significantly slower.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 am

Thanks, i just prefer everything match the camera settings even if it's not super critical in theory because +- 1/3 a stop *CAN* make a difference in the final result.

I realize I can use the exposure compensation but in an outdoor environment with the ambient light changing and juggling ISOs, shutter speeds and apertures, I'd prefer not to be dealing with the exposure compensation on the meter, particularly when I'm already using an offset to calibrate it properly with my camera. It's just one more thing to forget about in the heat of the battle on a live/location gig.

I'm trying to simplify my setup where I'm currently using a Sekonic L358 along with the cyber to control the power.

My other option would be to switch to the Sekonic L478DR and switch over to the PowerMC2 receivers in my einsteins but it's an expensive option with less functionality.

On a related subject, I really wish you'd come up with a dumbed down commander that has no GUI per se but instead uses a multi position switch to select the channel and dedicated arrow keys for setting power. On the gig, the joystick can be finicky. There are many times where for one reason or another, it just doesn't test fire.

Technical Support wrote:
As of now, no. I am not sure if this will change in the future.

As you probably know, 1/3 stop increments are not typically critical in an indoor studio environment, though they can make a small difference outdoors.

1/3 stop ISO can be "hacked", if you will, By setting a full stop ISO and dialing in +/- .3f or .7f under the "CAL" option in the FLASHMETER screen.

This works for ISO, since ISO directly and equally affects ambient and flash exposure. Shutter speeds affect ambient differently than flash. Flash is largely unaffected by shutter speeds except when your exceed the x-sync speed of the camera, or unless the shutter is otherwise faster than the flash duration of the flash. This is most common at or near the x-sync shutter speed of the camera, but on some really slow flashes, this can be significantly slower.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]