Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:01 pm

I just received a 51" PLM with diffusion fabric and I have a couple questions. I opted for the 8mm umbrella mount. I've read where the 7mm has an extendable shaft with a set screw. I don't think my 8mm does but there seems to be a post with ball end near the top of the shaft. It does not seem to come out so the shaft can extend. Should it extend to give me more distance between the lamp and tip of the umbrella? The 8mm shaft seems different from the 7mm in this regard.

Next question: Should I leave the reflector on or take it off when using the PLM w/diffusion fabric?

Thanks. Sorry for the newb questions.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:33 am

Site Admin

No, the 8mm shafts is not extendable. There is enough length to position the fabric properly, which is with the flash tube just inside the open face. By moving the flash tube in or out, you will change the focus and pattern of the light coming from it. This is especially true with Extreme Silver, and Soft Silver, and less of an issue with the white. With the diffusion fabric, it will be less of an issue, but can change the appearance of the PLM in reflections. Also, moving the PLM in or out would not provide ha benefit, either.

As for the reflector, unless it is the shallow 7UR, you will not want to use a reflector (like a 7" that is included with AlienBees or 8.5" High Output) with the PLM, as it will not allow the light to spread properly.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]