Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ] 

Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:31 pm

I have two Einsteins and bought two soft silver 51" PLM's to use in the smaller spaces I shot in. Now I have more room and am finding that with some of the shooting I am doing that I am not getting the even top to bottom light I would like. Without moving the lights around often which takes more time to reset metering etc. I shoot models that may be standing, in 5" heels, then bare foot, then sitting, then in a ball on the floor.
So I was thinking of going to the 86" Extreme Silver with diffusion fabric and my question is, since it alone is the size of most people, do I need just one positioned more in front of the subject or would two arranged as in your Genius package example be better?

Thanks

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Site Admin

One in front of the subject would light them. However, you will be getting very flat lighting with little shadow if positioned in front. This is sometimes a good thing, though usually rather boring.

By moving the light off axis, you will get shadow, which adds dimension and interest. However, the shadows can get too dark, then you would add the second, less bright light to lift those shadows.

Ultimately, it depends on what you are shooting, but having two on hand is not a bad thing.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 2 posts ]