Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ] 

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Is there going to be an easy way to gel an AB800 if I mount it in a softbox? (I am thinking of a 32" by 42" softbox).

Thanks in advance.

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Site Admin

Depends on the softbox and depends on the gel.

First, three 20x22 sheets of gel would cover the face fairly well (depending on actual diffusion fabric measurements), and would (IMO) be the least cumbersome and you are likely to block all white light coming through that would dilute the color.

Sometimes people will clip them to the internal diffusion fabric or, on our boxes, cut an "X" in the middle and feed the hold-open post through the "X". This can block most light in some cases, but not all, so it may be useful for ND gels where the need is for less light and not a color of light. The shape of the gel will vary based on the design of the box.

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm... it looks like it might be easier to gel the OTHER lights 9which will be speed lights) so that they will match the color of my (overly yellow) softbox.

Thanks again.

Top Top

#

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:17 pm

Site Admin

Planet wrote:
Hmmm... it looks like it might be easier to gel the OTHER lights 9which will be speed lights) so that they will match the color of my (overly yellow) softbox.

Probably.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 4 posts ]