Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ] 

Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:24 am

Hey Guys,

I currently use speed lights when shooting weddings. I am looking to grab a pair of the Einsteins however I was wondering if there was a way to simultaneously sync a Canon or Youngnuo On Camera Flash with the Einsteins?! This might not be necessary but I would like to know what the options are.

Appreciate a reply.
Thanks

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:56 am

I've successfully sync'd both PCB strobes and "speedlights" with CST and CSR/CSRB, obviously without TTL or HSS with my camera's sync speed.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:23 am

Site Admin

There are several options.

1- Use manual mode on the flashes, and use the optical slaves on the Einseins.
2- Use the speedlights as normal, and connect a CST transmitter to the PC port of the camera, which triggers the Einsteins with receiver.

While you cannot reliably trigger the Einsteins with a speedlight in TTL mode, you can mix them in certain circumstances, though you may need to dial in some negative flash EV.

Alternately, if you need run and gun automation from your speedlight mixed with set up Einsteins (wedding receptions are my go-to example), you can use the A mode found on some higher end or older speedlights. This is the automatic flash technology from the ~1960/70's, and works quite well.

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:51 pm

Lets. Say im using a canon 6d with no pc sync port and i want a speedlight in the hotshoe using ettl . Is there a way to still use a cst to fire pcb lights?

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:51 pm

If your speed light has pc sync port, you can connect the CST to it. If not, you'll need an adaptor between the camera and speedlight that has a pc sync port for the CST to connect to.

Top Top

#

Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Site Admin

Canon speedlights that have a PC port are sync in only, not sync out. Therefore, connecting to the speedlite will not work. I am not sure how a YongNuo light would behave.

Nikon flashes can be used in this manner.

I would then suggest using a TTL pass through hotshoe with PC out, like this one:
http://flashzebra.com/products/0268/index.shtml

Top Top

#

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks will try hot shoe accesory

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 7 posts ]