Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ] 

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:24 pm

First, allow me to say that I am an Einstein newbie, so please forgive me if this is somehow a "newbie user error."
I have three heads, two of which seem to work perfectly.
The "bad" one, which was my main light and therefore had the most use, worked well for a while and then simply stopped firing the strobe. I assumed there was a problem with the flash tube, and replaced it. The new flash tube worked well for a short while, but then began misfiring intermittently (1 out of 7 shots). Later this ratio went to 1 out of 3.
At present, even using the "Test" button, with a minimum of 20 second intervals, it only fires 1 out of every 4 or 5 presses of the button. (Power is set to 20.0 WS and modeling light is OFF)
Is this a bad flash tube again, or is something possibly wrong with the unit itself?
Thanks in advance.

Top Top

#

Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Site Admin

Does the success rate improve or decrease if the power is increased to full power?

If you remove the flash tube, do the external metal legs look clean or charred (internal glass will likely have black spots near the legs, and that is OK.

Are you getting a green ready light?

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Does the success rate improve or decrease if the power is increased to full power?

If you remove the flash tube, do the external metal legs look clean or charred (internal glass will likely have black spots near the legs, and that is OK.

Are you getting a green ready light?

Thank you for your response...I think you may have inadvertently solved the problem by asking the question about the charred legs. As I mentioned, it is a new flash tube (and I am a newbie), so I removed it to check for charring and found none, but when I replaced it, it now seems to function perfectly. YAYYY!! Thanks again!!

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 3 posts ]