Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ] 

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Another thought would to be to try and reflash the firmware on that light. While it most likely has the latest firmware, a reflash may fix a problem that has arisen. You can find the firmware and instructions here: http://www.paulcbuff.com/fw-e640.php

If you have any questions about this proceedure, please contact us directly.

I reflashed the Suspect einstein and lost complete control from the cyber commander in every way. Then I suspected something else and I physically started to jiggle the CSXCV transceiver connected to the suspect Einstein, and sure enough i got control again but without getting the flash duration or color temperature. then i jiggled it more, and then started to get the flash duration and color temperature finally. So basically i have a faulty transceiver connector inside the Einstein.

Obviously I would like to get it replaced or repaired, but currently I'm out of the US for the next few months and won't return until January of 2013. Will I still be in warranty. I purchase this unit either in April 2012 or July 2012 (I bought 2 units separately at different times)

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Site Admin

There is a two year warranty, so you should be fine when you get back. For curiosity, is this the one with the higher or lower serial number?

Top Top

#

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:57 am

Technical Support wrote:
There is a two year warranty, so you should be fine when you get back. For curiosity, is this the one with the higher or lower serial number?

It's the higher serial number, so i assume the later purchase.

Top Top

#

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 am

Site Admin

Yes, That would be the later purchase. Thanks.

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:35 pm

I have just received my Einsteins , CC, CST & CSXCVs.
The lights work fine with the CSXCVs & CST but I cannot get the CC to recognize them in the “Open Memory >>Studio>>Open All from Studio” sequence.
I have followed the manual step by step & have had someone else attempt to do so also to ensure I’m not doing anything incorrectly. The process seems as though it should be pretty straightforward.
All Lights are on separate channels & each is on the same frequency as the CC
All lights set to full power & none are on standby
All have slave eye disabled
Both the CC & Einsteins have the latest firmware.
I replaced the batteries in the CC with Duracell Ultra to rule that out.
I have tried moving all lights away from each other & carrying out the Open Memory sequence from differing positions….I don’t believe there would be any interference.
I have tried varying frequencies from 1 to 16.
I can occasionally get it to pick up one or two lights but that would only be one in ten attempts.
Please let me know what I should try next.

Edit: I re-flashed with the latest firmware but it did not help.
Not sure if the serial number is of interest but it is 008536
I have "All channels" selected.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Site Admin

It sounds like there may be a reception issue with the Cyber Commander. This can be verified by defining one or more channels as B1600's. If the lights respond and act normally (aside from the lower power levels), then we can isolate this to an issue in the Cyber Commander. If the lights are still not functioning properly, then there may be something else afoot.

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 am

Hi, i just got the The Portrait Studio , but i am having problems with the cyber commander, when try to meter the light, it gave me a wrong number, but if i use my sekonic meter to meter the same light at the same power, it gave me the correct number, and when i try to meter all lights at once, it gave me a weird number like 49 or 1, i do not understand what that number is.
i reset the meter to default, and keeps doing the same, the calibrate number its set to +0.0F
also the iso and time are set to the same as the camera,

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Site Admin

Can you tell me what numbers you are getting with each meter and how you are determining the CC is incorrect? Also, make sure your camera is in the manual mode, including manual ISO, when using it with the Cyber Commander.

<f1.0 means there is not enough light metered to allow the use of f/1.0 for proper exposure. If f128 appears, you may not see a change if you increase power, as that is the maximum aperture that is readable.

Also note, the Sekonic may be set to 1/3 stop settings, where as the Cyber Commander reads in 1/10 stop increments. So you may see f/9 on the Sekonic but see f/8.0'3 on the Cyber Commander. These are essentially the same reading. Page 42 in the manual will fully discuss this. http://www.paulcbuff.com/manuals/cc.pdf

If you are still seeing way off metering go into Setup>Advanced Configuration>Factory Calibration> use the left joystick right or left to restore factory calibration. If this does not correct the problem, you may want to give us a call, as it may require in depth trouble shooting.

Top Top

#

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 am

Is on your Website a Manual or tutorial how to connect the Einstein E640 with the CC?

Can i make each Flash in a separate Flash Group?

Top Top

#

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 am

Site Admin

The Cyber Commander manual can be found here:http://www.paulcbuff.com/manuals/cc.pdf

There are 16 different channels that can each independently control a flash unit.

There are also 8 preset groups which can contain or exclude any number of those 16 lights.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ]