Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ] 

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm having a problem remotely controlling my lone Einstein (with csxcv) with my Cyber Commander. I have another packed away but won't start using it until my stand arrives.

After setting the frequency to channel 1 on both the Cyber Commander and the Einstein, I wasn't sure about the SPEC LIGHTS option since there was no setting for Einstein and I hadn't read this post. So I just indicated that it was "OTHER" and "UNDEFINED". I also tried "NONE". After opening "OPEN MEMORY" and choosing "SYNC CYBER COMMANDER FROM STUDIO?" It waits a while the indicates that its completed. When I return to the main flash screen I can NOT see EINSTEIN 640 above "REFRESH" and have no remote control over the power.

What am I doing wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks you,

MM

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Site Admin

You said you set the frequency to channel 1. I must clarify channel and frequency are two different things. On the Einstein, at the bottom, there is a CH window and a FREQ window. Each of these are settable to values from 1 to 16. If you hit the easy set button, each will change to 1. It does not matter what either are set to (I would use CH. 1 with no real preference for FREQ). Be sure to note what these are set to, and leave theh light on.

In the Cyber Commander, go to SET UP>FREQUENCY. Make sure your frequency value in this screen matches the FREQ value on the light. Then do the OPEN MEMORY> OPEN FROM STUDIO steps. In the channel column that corresponds to the channel set on the light, you should see a vertical bar. It will be a gray outline or a blue bar, or a combination of the two. As well, you should see a white dash at the bottom.

When you go back to the main flash screen, make sure you select CH1 and not GRP1.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm

That did it, thanks!
MM

Top Top

#

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:52 pm

OK, having the same issue.

I set the Einstein to Easy Setup.

Used Channel 1 and Frequency 1

I left the Einstein on.

I then went into Cyber Commander, made sure SET UP>FREQUENCY was set to 1.

Then went into OPEN MEMORY> SYNC CYBER COMMANDER FROM STUDIO LIGHTS?

Get message stating OPENING FROM STUDIO, the a couple of seconds later: FINISHED OPENING FROM STUDIO. Sometimes a vertical bar flashes quickly after getting the OPENING FROM STUDIO message.

Shortly after I'm brought back to the main flash screen and the Einstein is not recognized, despite being on channel 1 and not GRP1. It is blank above "REFRESH"

What can I do to remedy this?

Thanks, MM

Top Top

#

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 am

Site Admin

Do you end up with a white or gray dash at the bottom of the channel 1 collumn? The white would be matching the text in the corners of the screen, where as the grey would match the lines in the graph.

If you have either dash, do you also have an CSR+ or CSRB+'s? If so, and they are powered on with the same settings, this can interfere with the CSXCV. Remove power from them or change settings and try again.

If you do not have either dash, try changing frequencies and repeat the process.

Top Top

#

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Utilizing Channel 1, after "Opening from Studio" it takes about 2 seconds for the cyber commander to display "Finished Opening" except I end up with neither a white or gray dash, nor does my Einstein show up in the default flash menu above "refresh".

I tried every frequency.

I plugged in my second Einstein and repeated the process with the same result. I had the first Einstein unplugged while I performed the setup of the second.

I have no CSR+ or CSRB+ units.

What can I do now?

Regards,

Lars

Technical Support wrote:
Do you end up with a white or gray dash at the bottom of the channel 1 collumn? The white would be matching the text in the corners of the screen, where as the grey would match the lines in the graph.

If you have either dash, do you also have an CSR+ or CSRB+'s? If so, and they are powered on with the same settings, this can interfere with the CSXCV. Remove power from them or change settings and try again.

If you do not have either dash, try changing frequencies and repeat the process.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:20 am

Site Admin

Moosemilk wrote:
I tried every frequency.

I presume you mean you tried every frequency by dialing in each of the various frequencies into the CC and E640 (i.e. you did not change one without the other).

In this case, I would recommend having both lights set up. This will make pinpointing the problem easier. Set them up on CH1 and CH2, and all devices on the same frequency of your choosing. Repeat the OPEN MEMORY>OPEN FROM STUDIO steps again to verify that it still is not working (if it is an environmental factor that changes, we need to verify the problem still exists during the test).

Assuming neither E640 shows up, enter SETUP>SPEC LIGHTS. Select Ch1, then select ALIEN BEES, AB1600, 250W. You will then return to the "Define light units" screen. Select CH2 and repeat the same process. Then exit the Set up menus and return to the FLASH screen.

Here, select each channel and try to adjust the flash output up or down, trigger them, etc.

If one Einstein pops up during the OPEN FFROM STUDIO phase, then the CC is probably ok, but there may be an issue with the CSXCV or flash head (this can be verified by swapping recievers with the heads).

If neither Einstein appears on the CC, but the lights do adjust and fire from the CC when programmed as B1600's, then there is a problem with the CC's reception. However, in a pinch this will offer most functionality other than the bottom few power settings.

If the lights do not fire when programmed as B1600's there is likely a transmission problem in the CC.

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:27 am

Yes, your presumption was correct.

I performed the test you suggested and the result was that both Einsteins appeared as Alienbees, the flash output up cycled up and down properly, and both popped.

This makes me wonder if I had the SPEC LIGHTS setting wrong to begin with. What should it be set to?

If it is a problem with the CCs reception, what could be causing it? I'm only 4 feet from the units so it can't be physical interference anyway.

Cheers

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Moosemilk wrote:

This makes me wonder if I had the SPEC LIGHTS setting wrong to begin with. What should it be set to?

Yes if you did something in "Spec Lights" when you tried to set up the Einstein(s) in the beginning, you already made an error. "Spec Lights is not used in the Einstein setup. Try to start all over again from scratch per instructions: "For new set ups with no existing lights, or to start from scratch" page 6 in Einstein manual.

RMS

Top Top

#

Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:53 pm

Starting from scratch just repeated the problem..that is, after "opening all from studio", and the cyber commander stating that it has finished opening them, the Einsteins are not recognized and I'm just left with the same green dashes I started with in the channels that were supposed to be occupied by the Einsteins.

So, where do I go from here?

Thanks

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ]