Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ] 

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Site Admin

There have been numerous calls and posts about this, so i will have a brief explaination.

Einstein and Cyber Commander were jointly developed for each other, and are therefore far easier to set up than with legacy lights. The Cyber Sync + receivers were designed to keep reverse compatability with the legacy lights, and some effort has to be made to make 2010 technology work with 1987 technology. This is why the CC and analog light combo is daunting and perhaps confusing for a user at first. However, once it is figured out, it is a well working and useful system. Einstein makes this far easier, and some steps are eliminated from the set up, while others remain. The issue I see is the steps that remain were often skipped with the legacy lights.

With ANY light, you should choose a frequency and set the Cyber Commander and all recievers to that frequency (this is done in the Einstein menu system). Now set each light to its indidividual channel. Now go to the menu to "OPEN MEMORY". Use the left hand joystick to select "STUDIO" (or if you only want to add 1 light to an existing set up, select the appropriate channel to which the new light is set. Selecting ALL with an existing set up will result in a loss of programming of the existing lights). As the Cyber Commander is opening, white or gray dashes will appear at the bottom. Channels designated for Einstein will also have a vertical bar appear.

With the legacy lights, you would now exit this screen and go to "SPEC LIGHTS" and select the appropriate light and model lamp.

With Einstein, You will not need to go to "SPEC LIGHTS", as it is automatically specified in the "OPEN MEMORY" process.

Now for all lights go to light settings, and make the appropriate selections for Model Lamp mode, power on or standby (Einstein really turns off, legacy lights minimize and are dormant). Recycle indicator, slave cell, and color mode only apply to Einstein. There is not circuitry to make the changes for legacy lights.

Legacy lights must have something in the sync jack to lock out the slave eye.

Top Top

#

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Technical Support wrote:
(or if you only want to add 1 light to an existing set up, select the appropriate channel).

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I have several different setups saved so I guess I'll be busy.

RMS

Top Top

#

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:11 pm

You should pin this at the top. I'm sure a lot of people will be looking for this information since it's not very well explained in the CC operating manual.

Top Top

#

Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Thank you so much for this! I was so frustrated and this completely simplified it compared to the manual.

Top Top

#

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:01 pm

I'm confused as to what "open from studio" does. I can understand that it would get all the settings from an Einstein, but what does it do if you only have CSR+ and CSRB+ receivers? When I added more receivers, I didn't open anything, I just "specced lights" for the additional channels, and it worked fine.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Site Admin

It pings for available recievers. While not absolutely necessary with legacy lights, it is a good tool to verify what recievers are available and that communication between the tewo is there. If you do this step, and you can see ch 1-4 are communicating on freq 1 (for example). However, if ch 4 does not appear, you can go the reciever and maybe see you set ch 1 freq 4. This will save a lot of frustrating trouble shooting. To add just one light, you can open from a channel instead of "studio". Einsteins will require this step.

Top Top

#

Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:18 am

Thanks. I'll avoid it, then, as an "open from studio" picks up on the existence of the CSR+ receivers on my old Ultras, but it loses all the info as to what's on each CSR+, and I have to go through "spec lights" again, or reopen from a memory.

Once I switch to Einsteins, I can see it being handy.

Top Top

#

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:02 am

Site Admin

If you are adding Einsteins to an existing setup containing CSRs, instead of open ALL from Studio, scroll to the channel containing Einstein and open only that channel from Studio. This will leave the CSR channels intact.

Top Top

#

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:59 am

Quote:
With Einstein, it is automatically loaded as to the type of light and model lamp.

I have a new Einstein light with a Cyber Commander and two Alien Bees lights. The Cyber Commander doesn't recognize the Einstein light. I have the Einstein light set as channel 1, and the other two lights set as channels 2 and 3. The Cyber Commander control panel shows channels 2 and 3, and I can control them, but channel 1, where the Einstein is supposed to be, just shows a white bar and almost no information. And I can't control the flash power or the modeling light power of the Einstein with the Cyber Commander. All lights are set on frequency 7. I have a CSXCV Transceiver Module plugged into the Einstein light. What am I doing wrong? The latest version of the firmware has been installed on the Cyber Commander.

Top Top

#

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Site Admin

In the main flash screen (where you adjust the power), select the channel the Einstein is associated with. What is written in the lower right, just above "refresh"? It should be "Einstein 640WS". Do you have an outlined grey vertical bar in that channel column? When that channel is selected, what is seen in the horizontal blue bar near the top?

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ]