Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ] 

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:59 pm

Site Admin

Since you do not get the vertical bars on the OPEN FROM STUDIO screen, but are able to control the lights if speced to an AB1600, all indications point to a defective Cyber Commander. For the time being you can define them as a B1600 (or anything really, but the display will be incorrect). This will allow you to use all functions but the adjustment to the lowest settings. On Monday, call Customer Service for warranty support.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:38 pm

I have two Einseins and a cyber commander. Can I turn off my Einsteins with the cyber commander? Sometimes I will have my strobes on the forth floor im the mezzanine.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Site Admin

SETUP>LIGHT SETTINGS>POWER=STANDBY or POWER=ON. This will turn the lights on or off. Be sure to select the channel, channels, or all.

Top Top

#

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 am

Sorry if I missed this info.

Using einstein lights and the Cyber Commander, are all light settings (including power levels) retained after turning lights off and then back on, as well as after changing the batteries on the CC?

I shoot tabletop and sometimes my shots take a while to work out. Often stop and come back later. With my lg4x and WL's when I come back and power up I am exactly where I left off. Very handy.

Top Top

#

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Site Admin

Turning wrote:
Sorry if I missed this info.

Using einstein lights and the Cyber Commander, are all light settings (including power levels) retained after turning lights off and then back on, as well as after changing the batteries on the CC?

Generally speaking, yes. I cannot say there is not a specific set of circumstances that would cause this to not be true, but generally, yes. However, for added insurance, you can save a set up to the internal or SD memory. Once saved it can be opened in the OPEN MEMORY window of the SETUP screen. Once opened, it will revert the lights to where they need to be. This will work with Bees or WL's as well. If the CC already has teh correct setup, but the lights forgot, or were changed, simply hitting the REFRESH command will revert the lights to the correct set up.

Since you are using Einsteins, if the lights are right, but the CC is not, you can go to OPEN MEMORY, OPEN FROM STUDIO, the lgihts will then apply thier settings to the CC. This would not apply in a practical sense to AB or WL's.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Thanks.

Top Top

#

Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Just want to say thanks for the prompt and professional service I received when I had trouble with my cyber commander. From the tech support here to the phone call I made and the accounting department I dealt with, it was all 1st class.

The replacement you sent me works perfectly and I'm happily experimenting with ratios ;)

Service like you provided really does make a difference. It astounds me that more companies don't get the importance of putting customers first.

All the best,

MM

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:54 pm

I have used my Einsteins for a couple of Basketball Tournaments so far. I love the color and fast fps. But I have noticed I have to use more power than my 1600's. I would typically shoot 1/4 power, 250 to 500 ISO, F5 and 1/320 on the two same tournaments using the the 1600's. With the Einsteins, I am at 3/4 power of slightly higher and 640 ISO, F5 and 1/320. It is really no problem, I can get 2-3 fps and never miss a shot and the exposure never strays. But, if the lights are rated the same power, why do I need more power with the Einsteins?

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Site Admin

jredman wrote:
I have used my Einsteins for a couple of Basketball Tournaments so far. I love the color and fast fps. But I have noticed I have to use more power than my 1600's. I would typically shoot 1/4 power, 250 to 500 ISO, F5 and 1/320 on the two same tournaments using the the 1600's. With the Einsteins, I am at 3/4 power of slightly higher and 640 ISO, F5 and 1/320. It is really no problem, I can get 2-3 fps and never miss a shot and the exposure never strays. But, if the lights are rated the same power, why do I need more power with the Einsteins?

Something wrong here. Einstein puts out the same amount of light as AB1600 or WL 1600 at any power setting, within about 1/10f.

You are reporting about around 6x the power from the 1600. I suggest a side by side comparison with the same modifier, distance and ISO.

Top Top

#

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:04 pm

Luap wrote:
jredman wrote:

Something wrong here. Einstein puts out the same amount of light as AB1600 or WL 1600 at any power setting, within about 1/10f.

You are reporting about around 6x the power from the 1600. I suggest a side by side comparison with the same modifier, distance and ISO.

I have tried about everything, took off the diffusers and helped some, about 1 stop, but I really like the color better with them on. I know they should be the same as the 1600's. I am using the action mode. If I turn them down to 1/4 power, they is really not much light and are not sufficient with near black exposures. I have the 7". 8.5" and the 11' reflectors, so not trying to stretch my light far. I am worried when I shoot a large arena and have my strobes on the forth floor in the mezzanine with 11" reflectors, am I going to have enough power? Last year I did with the 1600"s 1/4 power and got 400 ISO, F5 and the 11" reflectors. This year, I am not sure.

OK, I turned the Slave Eye status OFF, would that have reduced the power being ON?

I think I have it, I had not set my Cyber Commander to Alien Bee 1600W @250W. Now both lights on the commander start at around f2.8 and not at the bottom. Does this sound about right for not getting enough power? Seems to pop more at low power more than before. I know it had to be someting I had wrong. Love the Strobes.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ]