Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ] 

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Site Admin

First, the dome should not make more than a 1/10f difference. Second, it is possible the slave eyes are contributing to the problem. If they were triggered by someone else and not recycled, then the power would be reduced.

Lastly, It sounds like you have the lights set up incorrectly in the CC. Actual output will not change, regardless of how the light is defined in the Commander. So if an E640 is defined as an E640 or a B1600 or a B400, if it is set to -0f, it will have the same output iin each case, but the displayed Ws and EU ratings may be incorrect. If an E640 is defined as something other than an Einstein, then you will lose the ability to adjust to the last 2-3 stops via the CyberCommander (all other function will work fine). However, it can also be confusing if they are defined incorrectly.

If you want to give us a call, I will be glad to walk you through the setup and what the CC is telling you.

Top Top

#

Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:33 pm

Technical Support wrote:
First, the dome should not make more than a 1/10f difference. Second, it is possible the slave eyes are contributing to the problem. If they were triggered by someone else and not recycled, then the power would be reduced.

Lastly, It sounds like you have the lights set up incorrectly in the CC. Actual output will not change, regardless of how the light is defined in the Commander. So if an E640 is defined as an E640 or a B1600 or a B400, if it is set to -0f, it will have the same output iin each case, but the displayed Ws and EU ratings may be incorrect. If an E640 is defined as something other than an Einstein, then you will lose the ability to adjust to the last 2-3 stops via the CyberCommander (all other function will work fine). However, it can also be confusing if they are defined incorrectly.

If you want to give us a call, I will be glad to walk you through the setup and what the CC is telling you.

Thanks I will call. But my CC does not have the option for the Einstein. I have the latest firmware v40. I had to choose 1600w Alien Bees.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:07 am

Site Admin

Einstein is not an option under the SPEC LIGHTS option in any version firmware. As the recievers will communicate bi-laterally with the Cyber Commander, If you go into OPEN MEMORY, select the channel to which the E640 is set in the lower left corner, and press in on the right joystick, the E640 will automatically define itself. Additionally, it will pass on the settings of the light to the Cyber Commander (i.e. flash and model lamp power, slave eye, recycle indicators, etc.). If the light is already set to the parameters you desire, no further set up is needed for Einstein.

Since the Bee is already defined in the CC, be sure to only select the channel the E640 is set to in the steps above. If you select ALL, the definition of the Bee will disappear.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:55 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Einstein is not an option under the SPEC LIGHTS option in any version firmware. As the recievers will communicate bi-laterally with the Cyber Commander, If you go into OPEN MEMORY, select the channel to which the E640 is set in the lower left corner, and press in on the right joystick, the E640 will automatically define itself. Additionally, it will pass on the settings of the light to the Cyber Commander (i.e. flash and model lamp power, slave eye, recycle indicators, etc.). If the light is already set to the parameters you desire, no further set up is needed for Einstein.

Since the Bee is already defined in the CC, be sure to only select the channel the E640 is set to in the steps above. If you select ALL, the definition of the Bee will disappear.

Thanks, this is where I was and I seem to need more power that I should? Do I need to choose an ISO and shutter setting when I shoot? It seems to default to 100 ISO and 1/250 shutter.

Top Top

#

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:29 pm

Site Admin

ISO is a must in getting accurate measurements from the light meter, but it is not required if you are not using the light meter function. Shutter speed is not typically an issue for work when ambient light is low (i.e. if you take a photo with no flash but the same settings otherwise, your image is completely dark), and also not required if you are not using the light meter function.

I presume you are using the same reflectors and they are positioned identically as the Bees were?

When you say 1/4 on the Bees and 3/4 on Einstein, is this stating the porportial position of the range of the slider, or is it actually 1/4=-2f an 3/4=-.5f? These are very different. In otherwords, on the back panel of the Bee, if the slider is in the middle of its travel, then that is 1/4 power, not 1/2 power. On an Einstein, halfway on the bar graph is more like 1/16 power.

Because the range of Einstein is longer than the range of a Bee, 1/4 of the way down from full on Einstein is -2f, while halfway down on a Bee is -2f. You can also note the Ws rating in the horizontal blue bar of the CC for each light.

(example removed due to formatting issues)

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Technical Support wrote:
ISO is a must in getting accurate measurements from the light meter, but it is not required if you are not using the light meter function. Shutter speed is not typically an issue for work when ambient light is low (i.e. if you take a photo with no flash but the same settings otherwise, your image is completely dark), and also not required if you are not using the light meter function.

I presume you are using the same reflectors and they are positioned identically as the Bees were?

When you say 1/4 on the Bees and 3/4 on Einstein, is this stating the porportial position of the range of the slider, or is it actually 1/4=-2f an 3/4=-.5f? These are very different. In otherwords, on the back panel of the Bee, if the slider is in the middle of its travel, then that is 1/4 power, not 1/2 power. On an Einstein, halfway on the bar graph is more like 1/16 power.

Because the range of Einstein is longer than the range of a Bee, 1/4 of the way down from full on Einstein is -2f, while halfway down on a Bee is -2f. You can also note the Ws rating in the horizontal blue bar of the CC for each light.

(example removed due to formatting issues)

Thanks, I think it is something I just need to get used to, two different animals. With the 1600's I would set to 1/4 half of the half way point, so I assumed I could get the same output at 1/32 on the Einsteins. But not a big deal, they work flawless and make awesome images so it's all good. Thanks for all the replies.

Top Top

#

Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:17 pm

Site Admin

If the top of the blue bars are at the same level, regardless of the power range available, the lights are at the same power (assuming they are properly set up, or at least both set as B1600).

Top Top

#

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:47 pm

I have four Einsteins and have just got the CC. OMG....Help!

Usually I'm well above average competence with setup of relatively complex systems, but the CC and Einsteins has completely dumfounded me. The user guide really needs a comprehensive re-write with an emphasis on simplification and clarity.

Unless I can be 100% proficient with the CC/Einstein combination it's out of the question to use the CC on a job. So in the meantime the original CST transmitter is doing all the work.

If a third party guide or tutorial exists I'd be glad to see it.

Thanks,

Paul Wright

Top Top

#

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Site Admin

At what point are you having problems? Loading the Einsteins? Controlling them? There is so much the E640 can do, it would be hard to offer generalized assistance.

Top Top

#

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 pm

Is there a way to turn off the optical slave permanently? I turn them all off but every time I trigger the light they all turned on automatically.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ]