Paul C. Buff, Inc. Technical Forum

Technical Discussion Forum for all Paul C. Buff, Inc. Products

Login

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ] 

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 am

Site Admin

OK, I will be working on the assumption the slave eyes are disabled, and there is no other triggering method used than the recivers themselves, and all lights are on and not set to STANBY.

If you select CH1, CH2, or any other CH setting, you can individually adjust that channel, and fire only that channel via the buttons. However, input from the PC cord or hotshoe will trigger all lights.

If you select ALL, all channels can simultaneously be adjusted (and stay in ratio) and triggered via the buttons or the hotshoe/PC jack.

If you select GRP1 or GRP2, etc., the channels assigned to that group can be adjusted together (and stay in ratio to each other) and triggered together from the buttons or the hotshoe/PC.

If only one light is assigned to a group, it will be the same as selecting that one channel, except in the case you want to ONLY trigger that one light for a photo. Whereas having the two key lights in your setup set as a group, they can be adjusted together without having to go to each channel, and making sure they are set the same. Plus, you can trigger them exclusive to the fill light.

It sounds as though you will not want to trigger the keys exclusive to the fill or vice versa. In this case, you will have a group for the keys for simultaneous adjustment, adjust the fill individually or in a group, and select ALL for the actual triggering.

The way I would personally set this up is GRP8 as my two keys, CH1 as my fill, and CH2 and CH3 as my individual key channels. This way, GRP8 (keys), ALL (triggering), and CH1 (fill), are all within 2 clicks of each other, and the keys and fill are each within one click of the ALL setting.

Alternatively, you can have a group for the keys, a group for the fill, and a group with all three lights. This is redundant to what is inherent to the design, but you can put them in whatever order you want.

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 pm

awesome....I'm there

Is there any advantage to using a transmitter in addition to the commander, other than being able to change settings without having to carry the camera around with the commander on it? I doubt I will be using the commander as a light meter.

Thanks so much for making this more clear. I happy with mu purchase so far, but the directions are somewhat less than intuitive....

Doug G

Top Top

#

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:15 pm

The direction manuals I mean, not your instructions...

Top Top

#

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:33 am

Site Admin

dgardner wrote:
Is there any advantage to using a transmitter in addition to the commander, other than being able to change settings without having to carry the camera around with the commander on it? I doubt I will be using the commander as a light meter.

It does keep you from carrying the camera around or taking it on and off. It also provides a back up trigger device should something unfortunate happen to the CC. I would also suggest trying the metering function of the CC, as it not only provides a meter reading, but it also allows accurate adjustment based on that reading. It would keep you from having two products in hand as you meter.

Top Top

#

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 am

So I initially had similar problems with misunderstanding how to setup my Einstein with the Cyber Commander. But I've tried everything currently, but the Cyber Commander doesn't recognize 1 of the 2 Einsteins I have through the normal setup functions. I have tried all the frequencies and switching the CSXCV transceivers around, but it's the same Einstein that doesn't get recognized. To be exact, it recognized it enough to control the "light settings" menu function, but doesn't recognize it as an Einstein and won't let me change the power setting, because it doesn't show a bar for the channel it is on.

I did however make a workaround for the mean time. I used the Einstein that WAS recognized and placed in Channel 1 then I changed it to Channel 2 and added it via Open Memory as Channel 2. After that I took the unrecognized Einstein and made the settings to Channel 1. This fooled the Cyber Commander (Or Einstein) parameters and finally allowed me to control fully both my Einsteins.

But I still want to get to the bottom of the problem and understand why that one Einstein can not be recognized through the normal procedure. Is it a defect in that 1 Einstein or is there some else I can do to fix this issue?

Top Top

#

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:55 am

Site Admin

Very smart work around.

So what you are saying is the light will respond, and the light's LCD screen updates as changes are made via the CyberCommander? It will not, however show up on the "Open From Studio" function?

Does the color temperature and flash duration appear in the upper left when the suspect light is selected?

If you make a power adjustment with this work around, does a red line appear around the vertical bar (assuming you are not at maximum or minimum power)?

Have you tried moving your system to a different frequency?

Top Top

#

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Technical Support wrote:
Very smart work around.

So what you are saying is the light will respond, and the light's LCD screen updates as changes are made via the CyberCommander? It will not, however show up on the "Open From Studio" function?

Does the color temperature and flash duration appear in the upper left when the suspect light is selected?

If you make a power adjustment with this work around, does a red line appear around the vertical bar (assuming you are not at maximum or minimum power)?

Have you tried moving your system to a different frequency?

yes, the light's lcd panel settings responds via the Cyber Commander, everything except power up or down. and yes, it wouldn't show up using "Open from Studio" function.

The color temp and flash duration does NOT show up on the Cyber Commander and yes, a red line does appear on the vertical bar when making power adjustments on the suspect light.

I've just tried moving the system to all the frequencies and still the same.

Top Top

#

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 pm

It sounds to me as though both of your Einsteins were on their default channel 1 during your setup. Changing one of them to a different channel on the back of the Einstein(not just in the CyberCommander)should fix this. Maybe.

RMS

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:20 am

Site Admin

PEng wrote:
yes, the light's lcd panel settings responds via the Cyber Commander, everything except power up or down.

I am sorry, just so I am clear, the power adjustment does work when you use the work around, right?

If the problem persists with either reciever in place, then the problem is in the head. It appears it can recieve signals but not transmit back to the Cyber Commander. You should contact customer service for thier help in determining the best way to have this resolved under warranty.

Top Top

#

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:52 am

Site Admin

Another thought would to be to try and reflash the firmware on that light. While it most likely has the latest firmware, a reflash may fix a problem that has arisen. You can find the firmware and instructions here: http://www.paulcbuff.com/fw-e640.php

If you have any questions about this proceedure, please contact us directly.

Top Top

Post a reply
 [ 110 posts ]